Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Sees More Crash Fixes Following Plasma 5.21 Release

Phoronix: KDE Sees More Crash Fixes Following Plasma 5.21 Release

Earlier this week saw the release of Plasma 5.21 while KDE developers have been busy working on fixes/improvements to that for the first point release as well as moving forward in other areas like integrating Git support into Kate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kate gets sweeter and sweeter, that was always a must have in my systems, nice work and thanks!

Comment

How can I tell if my distribution (Tumbleweed) uses systemd for user session management?

Comment

Jumped back over to Plasma after being off of it for a couple of years and I'm really impressed with the Wayland experience. The main issue remaining is getting more standard applications using Wayland too so that I'm not hitting Xwayland as much, but the core system is very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          How can I tell if my distribution (Tumbleweed) uses systemd for user session management?
          you should do this:
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]~> systemctl --user status plasma-plasmashell.service[/COLOR][/FONT]
          and see something like this:
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]~> systemctl --user status plasma-plasmashell.service [/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#54ff54][B]●[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] plasma-plasmashell.service - KDE Plasma Workspace [/COLOR]
              Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/plasma-plasmashell.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
              Active: [COLOR=#54ff54][B]active (running)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] since Sat 2021-02-20 15:19:24 +04; 2h 58min ago [/COLOR]
            Main PID: 1750 (plasmashell)
              CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/[email protected]/session.slice/plasma-plasmashell.service
                      └─1750 /usr/bin/plasmashell --no-respawn[/FONT]
          if not then you should do this:
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot true[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            Jumped back over to Plasma after being off of it for a couple of years and I'm really impressed with the Wayland experience. The main issue remaining is getting more standard applications using Wayland too so that I'm not hitting Xwayland as much, but the core system is very nice.
            With wayland on plasma the main irritating issue for me is that when i minimize a window to the system tray and on restoration it forgets its position... it is true only for some apps (like Telegram, and MegaSync)
            the other annoyance is that windows get black time to time...

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post

you should do this:
              Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]~> systemctl --user status plasma-plasmashell.service[/COLOR][/FONT]
              and see something like this:
              Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]~> systemctl --user status plasma-plasmashell.service [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#54ff54][B]●[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] plasma-plasmashell.service - KDE Plasma Workspace [/COLOR]
              Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/plasma-plasmashell.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
              Active: [COLOR=#54ff54][B]active (running)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] since Sat 2021-02-20 15:19:24 +04; 2h 58min ago [/COLOR]
              Main PID: 1750 (plasmashell)
              CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/[email protected]/session.slice/plasma-plasmashell.service
              └─1750 /usr/bin/plasmashell --no-respawn[/FONT]
              if not then you should do this:
              Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot true[/COLOR][/FONT]
              Thanks a lot, actually I wasn't using systemd for user session, I tried with the command to activate it and it worked. A greeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                Thanks a lot, actually I wasn't using systemd for user session, I tried with the command to activate it and it worked. A greeting.
                enjoy...

Comment

They fixed a logout bug but I am having periodically another one: logging out doesn't terminate all user processes and if I login again there are all kinds of nasty issues: high cpu usage, black screen instead of desktop, etc.
                  Wondering if it can be fixed with some config cleanup or setting, my tumbleweed is rather old already (in a sense that it got updated numerous times) but I don't want to delete everything and set it up again.

Comment

Originally posted by dremon_nl View Post
                    They fixed a logout bug but I am having periodically another one: logging out doesn't terminate all user processes and if I login again there are all kinds of nasty issues: high cpu usage, black screen instead of desktop, etc.
                    Wondering if it can be fixed with some config cleanup or setting, my tumbleweed is rather old already (in a sense that it got updated numerous times) but I don't want to delete everything and set it up again.
                    Note that version 5.21.1 has not yet arrived in Tumbleweed.

Since Plasma 5.21 arrived, I have been using the full-wayland session and I have to say that I am quite satisfied, some minor annoyances are still there, however never crashed (so far), never had "major" problems, there is still something to fix some edges to polish, but I think the next Lts, will be shipped with wayland by default.

Comment

Working...
                    X