Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 Git Seeing New Code Land Following Winter Storm

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 Git Seeing New Code Land Following Winter Storm

While the first week of a new merge window is often one of the busiest times for Linus Torvalds in overseeing the Linux kernel, until last night there was no actual Linux 5.12 code being pushed into the Linux Git repository. Linus was offline most of the week due to winter storms preventing him from pushing to the Git repository and interacting much with the mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Linux foundation or somebody should upgrade his office with backups, solar and wind power, another wired ISP and a wireless one.
    This is the most important man working for the Linux kernel and it's surprising that nobody thought to protect his ability to work.
    I wish him well, but I hope he has a backup plan for other cases.

Comment

Well. They'll get him redundancy now for sure.
      Being Finnish, he has hardly noticed a little below zero and a feet or so of snow..

Probably hacking some ice hole in a lake to get some of that refreshing swimming in wintertime...

Comment

That makes me think about the bus factor here...

Comment

git --everything-is-local

People just need to send their patches via mail to Linus and everything works
          Are floppies fine? Or does he prefer memory cards?
          Last edited by hsci; 22 February 2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            The Linux foundation or somebody should upgrade his office with backups, solar and wind power, another wired ISP and a wireless one.
            This is the most important man working for the Linux kernel and it's surprising that nobody thought to protect his ability to work.
            I wish him well, but I hope he has a backup plan for other cases.
            Why? Him being offline doesn't mean contributors stopped working. It probably doesn't mean anything in the future is delayed either. It might be a minor inconvenience if someone is building regression analysis with tip and will have more land at once for their next test, but that sort of thing is probably also happening in great redundancy on every PR, so chances are the effect is pretty minimal except for a pretty minor hiccup in some people's normal weekly rhythms.

More importantly, if he did need that redundancy, we probably need to make the human redundant, because humans are fragile and come with an undocumented expiration date. However, he has expressed confidence that if he were to be hit by a bus, he believes Linux would continue on without hiccup. I'm sure there'd be a lot of sadness for the giant in software history, but I trust his confidence in the matter.

That said, I'd love having three truly redundant internet connections and backup power. Something doesn't need to be useful to be worth it if it has a large enough intangible fun factor, and I assume he probably has the money for it. He also, however, seems to be pretty practical about not liking complexity, so he might not enjoy the idea like some of us would.

Comment

Is Mr. Torvalds the only man on this planet who can accept merge requests and push to master? After all this is such a large project and there should be people responsible for features of the kernel who are able to merge requests according to their features? At least that's what i saw from other large projects.

Comment

Working...
              X