Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Out For Possible Data Loss On Early Linux 5.12 Kernels

Phoronix: Watch Out For Possible Data Loss On Early Linux 5.12 Kernels

As a quick PSA for those that may be eager to test out early Git builds of the Linux 5.12 kernel, I've been hitting a very nasty issue on multiple systems leading to corruption / data loss...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is kind of shocking, hopefully they find all the regressions and fix them before rc1

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

An interesting find for sure, but not something that affects any end users. This is an early development build, i.e. experimental, not even to the release candidate phase yet. Odd bugs and undesirable behaviors are par for the course in early dev builds of any software, the Linux kernel is no exception.

Comment

regressions are a reoccurring theme on my channel :-/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sK0moxJGrE

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            regressions are a reoccurring theme on my channel :-/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sK0moxJGrE
            Hi Rene, I follow your channel, just wanted to say hi and thank you for your work.

Comment

Thanks for the warning, Michael. Although I use btrfs I was planning on using rc1 for the new AMDGPU features for Navi 21 cards and hopefully some fixes given my logs are full of (ongoing literally every second) crap like below since 5.11.1:

[17811.613586] amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Failed to disable gfxoff!
              [17811.615071] amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Msg issuing pre-check failed and SMU may be not in the right state!
              [17811.615143] amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Failed to export SMU metrics table!
              [17811.623093] amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Msg issuing pre-check failed and SMU may be not in the right state!
              [17811.623222] amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Failed to disable gfxoff!
              [17811.632944] amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Msg issuing pre-check failed and SMU may be not in the right state!
              [17811.632949] amdgpu 0000:0c:00.0: amdgpu: Failed to disable gfxoff!
              Guess I'll have to put up with this a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Hi Rene, I follow your channel, just wanted to say hi and thank you for your work.
                Cool ,happy to hear and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Volta
                  It's rather you that needs a therapy. Housewife fighting 'white male supremacists'.
                  rene said nothing in that thread to indicate he was a housewife. Not sure why you assumed that or why you are doubling down on that assumption now. rene is a bearded computer scientist from Berlin.

rene founded the company ExactScan and made their scanning software available on GNU/Linux distros, which is allowing me to get my Fujitsu Scansnap s510 finally working correctly without having to go into a Windows vm.

Comment

Maybe if kselftest and ltp were not mostly garbage stuff like this could be auto detected.

Comment

Working...
                    X