RISC-V With Linux 5.12 Begins Mainlining SiFive's FU740 Support, NUMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V With Linux 5.12 Begins Mainlining SiFive's FU740 Support, NUMA

Phoronix: RISC-V With Linux 5.12 Begins Mainlining SiFive's FU740 Support, NUMA

The Linux 5.12 merge window is drawing to a close this weekend while being sent in this morning were the RISC-V updates that tend to excite the free software enthusiasts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do they mean by "Greater China"? Is that uhh.. a euphemism for more land than is actually in China?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      What do they mean by "Greater China"? Is that uhh.. a euphemism for more land than is actually in China?
      China probably includes Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet etc. as Greater China. Pretty sure they'll claim part of India too in that package.

Comment

In fairness, Hong Kong was part of China until the British leased it, and Taiwan likewise until the Nationalists (who opposed the Communists) retreated there. I'm not sure Tibet was ever part of China until the current occupation.

Comment

The processor space is finally becoming interesting again.

Comment

Seeing a PCI-E slot on there, I wonder if I can stick a modern NVIDIA VGA card on it and run games.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralArea View Post
              Seeing a PCI-E slot on there, I wonder if I can stick a modern NVIDIA VGA card on it and run games.
              I wonder that too, but an older card with nouveau (I prefer not to buy new because of signed firmware issues and not to support uncollaborative companies). The getting started guide doesn't tell. They recommend an AMD RX-500 series GPU. And the forums tell to look up hardware support in the guide.

Btw. I went today to the mouser webshop and found the unmatched SBC not avaialable in 4 o 5 EU countries I tried. "due to governmental regulations".
              Is that normal ? I think it was available earlier in the year.

Comment

The GPU driver would still have to be compiled for the risc-v architecture. AFAIK the Nvidia BLOB is only available for x86 and power. This is an often forgotten problem with closed source software, even if its just a recompile away from working on your platform you are screwed

It is actually quite likely (although I don't know if Mesa includes assembly) that the Mesa open source drivers could work on the board

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  China probably includes Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet etc. as Greater China. Pretty sure they'll claim part of India too in that package.
                  I figured something like that, but honestly you'd think Taiwan would just work with the U.S. or Korean contacts. In my experience it's a PITA to work with PRC from outside. I guess they would have to pretend Taiwan isn't doing their own thing at this point, in order to stay in the good graces of PRC, but it reads really funny.

Comment

Originally posted by DKJones View Post
                    In fairness, Hong Kong was part of China until the British leased it, and Taiwan likewise until the Nationalists (who opposed the Communists) retreated there. I'm not sure Tibet was ever part of China until the current occupation.
                    Hong Kong was districted as a part of Bao'an County before British colonization. Bao'an County itself was first established in 331 (which was then canceled and reestablished multiple times in history, sometimes called Xin'an, now split by Hong Kong and Shenzhen.). Meanwhile the upper administrative region now known as Canton / Guangdong Province was conquered by China (Qin Dynasty) the first time in 214 BC (which then went independent and reconquered multiple times in history).

Taiwan was ceded to Japan from 1895 to 1945 before Nationalist-Communist Civil War and the retreat. From 1683 to 1895, China (Qing Dynasty) governed the west coast of Taiwan while the mountain area and east coast were under actual control of aboriginals. From 1661 to 1683, a group of Ming Dynasty loyalists "retreated" and conquered a patch of southwest coast of Taiwan from Formosa the Dutch colony. Before then, Taiwan / Formosa was under colonial rule of Dutch (arrived in 1624), Spanish (arrived in 1626), and aboriginals. There were Chinese and Japanese etc. living and doing activities (e.g. pirate) there but no governments were established by them at that time.

Tibet was garrisoned by China (Qing Dynasty) from 1720 to 1912. Whether Tibet was a sovereign state in that period is a highly political and controversial topic.

Comment

Working...
                    X