Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Lands Native PipeWire Support

Phoronix: SDL2 Lands Native PipeWire Support

While SDL2-enabled games/applications can already work on PipeWire-based systems like the forthcoming Fedora Workstation 34 thanks to the PulseAudio compatibility layer, the SDL2 library has merged initial support for interfacing with PipeWire...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.

Are you on the moral high grounds who opposes meritocratic endeavors like this? This is your last chance to come up with alternatives. All you need to do is stop talking and start coding. Good Luck!
    You appear to be arguing with yourself. Did you forget to take your meds this morning?

Comment

What exactly is the purpose of pipewire? What precisely can it do for me? What does it offer that current methods cannot?
      It wreaks of NIH'ism :\

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
        What exactly is the purpose of pipewire? What precisely can it do for me? What does it offer that current methods cannot?
        It wreaks of NIH'ism :\
        It aims to fix all the problems and shortcomings of PulseAudio, plus handle screen sharing and cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It aims to fix all the problems and shortcomings of PulseAudio,
          some of which involve things like JACK audio server, so it replaces that too. it's probably a very good idea. idk if there are any naysayers, but i'll throw a match out there and say at least it's not being added to systemd :3

..yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.

Are you on the moral high grounds who opposes meritocratic endeavors like this? This is your last chance to come up with alternatives. All you need to do is stop talking and start coding. Good Luck!
            I heard Devuan is reviving the kernel 2.4 OSS API and PC Speaker support as the primary sound processing platforms. Purely mono 22khz though.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I heard Devuan is reviving the kernel 2.4 OSS API and PC Speaker support as the primary sound processing platforms. Purely mono 22khz though.
              Well, I mean 16k should be enough for anyone, right?

I'm really happy that pipewire is finally solving the lack of a multimedia server to deal with passing video streams, should make a bunch of things possible. Though I fear that some dist will be far too eager to abandon pulseaudio due to its bad press, and instead move fully to pipewire before it's fully ready for use - making history repeat itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post
                ...too eager to abandon pulseaudio due to its bad press, and instead move fully to pipewire before it's fully ready for use - making history repeat itself.
                That was 100% due to Ubuntu's trademark incompetence last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

Well, I mean 16k should be enough for anyone, right?

I'm really happy that pipewire is finally solving the lack of a multimedia server to deal with passing video streams, should make a bunch of things possible. Though I fear that some dist will be far too eager to abandon pulseaudio due to its bad press, and instead move fully to pipewire before it's fully ready for use - making history repeat itself.
                  This time it looks like it will be handled better. The first distro to receive it is Fedora, which has always played the role of an integration testing platform for FOSS desktop technologies. Ubuntu is busy with its second attempt to move to Wayland and it won't fully introduce pipewire at least until 21.10 (that's IF it moves to GNOME 42 by then and pipewire is a hard dependency). By then the main issues will hopefully be solved and that's what matters the most. Other distros like Arch, Debian, SUSE etc are much less desktop oriented than Fedora/Ubuntu and they have always carried a DIY mantra, so desktop breakages are more tolerated there.

Comment

Pulseeffects starting from 5.0 switched to pipewire-only.

Comment

Working...
                    X