No announcement yet.

Loongson 2K1000 Linux Support Still Getting Brought Up With New Kernel Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loongson 2K1000 Linux Support Still Getting Brought Up With New Kernel Patches

Phoronix: Loongson 2K1000 Linux Support Still Getting Brought Up With New Kernel Patches

Chinese MIPS64 vendor Loongson announced the 2K1000 back in 2017 and while it has already been succeeded by more advanced chips in the Loongson 3 series, the Linux driver support for the 2K1000 is still coming together...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In case anyone wondering, while the 2K1000 are the lower end SBC dev boards, there's 3A4000 workstations oriented for developers to port their stuff in anticipation of 2022 market launch with 8GB RAM and (integrated?) AMD graphics selling for around $900 in China: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=611865639252

One of the commenters switched the power supply and put in a beefy AMD graphics card and is using it daily with a 4k monitor surfing the web and stuff. Others play Minecraft on it with the graphics it came with. The performance is reported to feel like a low end i5 / mid-high end i3. It comes preinstalled with something called UOS you need to deactivate in some cumbersome way before installing Debian or Fedora.

Currently it's pretty viable for the domestic patriotic enthusiast developers. I say, nothing wrong with that and good for them. But still, call me with a price estimate when you have cheap laptops/tablets out running mainline linux

Comment

CIP get all MIPS IPs today from WAVE Computing and there are some former MIPS Technologies / Img / Loongson employees already working for CIPs. More to come.
      Flygoat says that his boss is very happy today. I suspect his boss must drunk Moutai and got drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        In case anyone wondering, while the 2K1000 are the lower end SBC dev boards, there's 3A4000 workstations oriented for developers to port their stuff in anticipation of 2022 market launch with 8GB RAM and (integrated?) AMD graphics selling for around $900 in China: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=611865639252

One of the commenters switched the power supply and put in a beefy AMD graphics card and is using it daily with a 4k monitor surfing the web and stuff. Others play Minecraft on it with the graphics it came with. The performance is reported to feel like a low end i5 / mid-high end i3. It comes preinstalled with something called UOS you need to deactivate in some cumbersome way before installing Debian or Fedora.

Currently it's pretty viable for the domestic patriotic enthusiast developers. I say, nothing wrong with that and good for them. But still, call me with a price estimate when you have cheap laptops/tablets out running mainline linux
        The PSU in that workstation is bad quality. Flygoat suggests an old Delta Electronics PSU from garbage recycling station downstairs as a replacement.

Comment

Eh, UOS *is* pretty similar to Fedora as it's based on CentOS. It's basically the enterprise version of Deepin Linux (which is based on Debian Stable).

Comment

Originally posted by qsmcomp View Post
            CIP get all MIPS IPs today from WAVE Computing and there are some former MIPS Technologies / Img / Loongson employees already working for CIPs. More to come.
            From what I read, Loongson use their own core designs so they can make due with the open MIPS license short of some of peripheral and chipset licenses that come with the pool.

Originally posted by qsmcomp View Post
            The PSU in that workstation is bad quality.
            I think it was just a wattage issue due to the new GPU.
            Regardless, so long as they get the job done, using cheap PSUs is a legitimate cost saving measure since they also draw less power so it lowers the cost of ownership for the consumers.

Comment

Comments on the taobao page reviews seem to indicate its a dedicated PCIe card... since one guy said he swapped it for an RX580. Nealy 100% sure there are no integrated graphics since its all on the wrong node for that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Comments on the taobao page reviews seem to indicate its a dedicated PCIe card... since one guy said he swapped it for an RX580. Nealy 100% sure there are no integrated graphics since its all on the wrong node for that anyway.
                Most common configurations are AMD Oland based graphics like Radeon R5 240 or something similar.

Comment

Working...
                X