RHEL In Your Car? Red Hat Building Out Automotive Infotainment Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHEL In Your Car? Red Hat Building Out Automotive Infotainment Team

Phoronix: RHEL In Your Car? Red Hat Building Out Automotive Infotainment Team

Red Hat is in the process of building out an "infotainment" team to work on low-level Linux infrastructure work around their growing automotive efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like Red Hat is on a tear now after the IBM purchase. In fact, I may be on the cusp of finally moving over from Ubuntu to Fedora Workstation after 10 plus years of Ubuntu. Ubuntu just seems a bit, behind, if that makes any sense. Behind in Gnome updates, Snaps, plus ever since 18.10 the performance just gets noticably worse and buggier on both my Bristol Ridge based laptop and desktop. I'll wait until Ubuntu 22.04.1 to compare to whatever the latest version of Fedora Workstation will be at that time ( Summer 2022 ) but I wouldn't be surprised to see me jumping ship to Fedora.
    Last edited by Jumbotron; 16 March 2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

andre30correia 's head is going to explode

Comment

RedHat??? is that the same company that killed CentOS?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          Looks like Red Hat is on a tear now after the IBM purchase. In fact, I may be on the cusp of finally moving over from Ubuntu to Fedora Workstation after 10 plus years of Ubuntu. Ubuntu just seems a bit, behind, if that makes any sense. Behind in Gnome updates, Snaps, plus ever since 18.10 the performance just gets noticably worse and buggier on both my Bristol Ridge based laptop and desktop. I'll wait until Ubuntu 22.04.1 to compare to whatever the latest version of Fedora Workstation will be at that time ( Summer 2021 ) but I wouldn't be surprised to see me jumping ship to Fedora.
          I felt exactly the same, but with so much learning time invested into Ubuntu (I've got PPAs with customised or patched packagea etc.) I've decided to give it one last chance by installing the 21.04 development version. Well lo and behold, it's excellent. After one week of using it it's much more stable than 20.10 or even 20.04 ever was. All the annoying little bugs and glitches are gone. It also feels noticeably faster. So I put my fedora envy to rest for the time being.

Comment

Sounds like a good business opportunity for Red Hat. Personally I don't like the idea of surveillance capitalism invading every car made today and will probably stick with my trusty 20 year old until the day I die. I'm sure the automotive industry will be booming without my help.

Comment

Considering Weston has a particularly special focus on IVI, future cars may run Wayland if this is a reality...

Comment

What ever happened to Tizen? Why LinuxFoundation gave it to the Samsung?

Comment

Current jobs are for Brno (Czech Republic) and across their US sites while some positions do allow for remote work
                  I should mention all their remote locations are restricted by a country. Which probably makes sense, but one thing that always annoys me: why Red Hat never has positions in Russia? Or could they perhaps provide positions with relocation? That'd be fine with me.

FWIW, I once applied to SUSE, and got answer that while my profile suits the position, they can't hire me due to lack of legal entity in Russia. So I guess that's popular.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Considering Weston has a particularly special focus on IVI, future cars may run Wayland if this is a reality...
                    this is the year of linux on the dashboard!

Comment

Working...
                    X