Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.6-rc1 Released With Better Touchscreen/Tablet Support

Phoronix: Sway 1.6-rc1 Released With Better Touchscreen/Tablet Support

For fans of Sway as the i3-inspired Wayland compositor the v1.6 update is coming soon while out today is the release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anybody know of a way to configure Sway so that it defaults to opening new windows in "floating" mode instead of tiling? I can't stand tiling.

Comment

Comment

I've worked from both solely a 13" laptop screen and 27" + 23" combo and very rarely used anything else than fullscreen windows. Tiling or floating, whatever, redundant for me.

The only tiling I would do was putting a terminal window and web browser in half-and-half, vertically-maximized state.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
          Does anybody know of a way to configure Sway so that it defaults to opening new windows in "floating" mode instead of tiling? I can't stand tiling.
          In that case why are you using a TILING desktop manager?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

In that case why are you using a TILING desktop manager?
            Wants to use Wayland but doesn't understand how to, chooses the wrong ticket to the wrong train and complains that nothing is well.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

Wants to use Wayland but doesn't understand how to, chooses the wrong ticket to the wrong train and complains that nothing is well.
              More like he wanted to fly from New York to Paris but in fact boarded a train to Baltimore and now he's asking the locals where's the Eiffel Tower.

Comment

The very definition of Sway is "Tiling Window Manager". If you don't like tiling, you should consider something other than Sway.

Comment

sudo pacman -S wayfire

Comment

I have run Sway a bit and do like it. I don' t really like the configuration syntax, but I understand that its goal is to be a Wayland implementation of i3, and uses the same configuration syntax as i3. I'd much prefer say an INI file or better yet TOML. Easy to read, but just my opinion here.

In regards to a tiling window manager, my main use case is to have two windows side by side, left and right, full height each. I'd love to see a simple hybrid shell/window manager that could do tiling and floating. On Windows and macOS, both using the floating paradigm, I can use the built-in snap functionality on Windows and I always install Rectangle (pretty much successor of Spectacle) on macOS to achieve. Both do hotkeys and drag to edge snap and resizing. They both do a lot more than the above two window case I mention above, but that and hotkeying to full-screen are mostly what I need.

At any rate, I like tiling window managers, but I also would love to see something that added in a little more and gave a little more control when needed. And somethings that was a fresh start, so could approach things clean, not something that was a port of something, mistakes included. FYI, I have installed Wayfire just to give it a spin, but most of those effects are distractions. But their snap to edge functionality is pretty cool!
                    Last edited by ehansin; 17 March 2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X