NZXT Kraken Liquid Cooler Driver Under Review For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZXT Kraken Liquid Cooler Driver Under Review For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: NZXT Kraken Liquid Cooler Driver Under Review For The Linux Kernel

While NZXT does not provide any official Linux software support for their products like their all-in-one liquid coolers, the open-source community for years has worked to fill that void thanks to reverse-engineering. The latest work when it comes to the NZXT Kraken AIO liquid coolers is a proposed HWMON driver for the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slightly related and to give y'all a laugh at my expense -- Going cheap, I ordered my Wraith Prism used on eBay for $20 with a $10 off coupon instead of the $35 for a new one. I didn't realize that it didn't come with the two cables to control the RGB effects, RGB header and USB 2.0 header. So I spent another $10 ordering those cables. They showed up last night. Hooked the RGB one up and it doesn't control the outer ring color. Went to hook the other one up and I'm out of damn USB 2.0 headers. Fuck me. Now I have to order a USB header expander. It'll run me just around $35 all in total.

I suppose that's still better than buying one new for $35 and then finding out that I need a $8-15 header expander.

All this because I just want to turn the RGB effects off at night while having a spiffy RGB AMD logo
    (we don't have a frustrated sigh smiley so frown has to do)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Slightly related and to give y'all a laugh at my expense -- Going cheap, I ordered my Wraith Prism used on eBay for $20 with a $10 off coupon instead of the $35 for a new one. I didn't realize that it didn't come with the two cables to control the RGB effects, RGB header and USB 2.0 header. So I spent another $10 ordering those cables. They showed up last night. Hooked the RGB one up and it doesn't control the outer ring color. Went to hook the other one up and I'm out of damn USB 2.0 headers. Fuck me. Now I have to order a USB header expander. It'll run me just around $35 all in total.

I suppose that's still better than buying one new for $35 and then finding out that I need a $8-15 header expander.

All this because I just want to turn the RGB effects off at night while having a spiffy RGB AMD logo
      (we don't have a frustrated sigh smiley so frown has to do)
      If all you wanted to do was turn off the LEDs on-command, couldn't you just install a toggle switch that disconnects the voltage pin from the RGB header?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        If all you wanted to do was turn off the LEDs on-command, couldn't you just install a toggle switch that disconnects the voltage pin from the RGB header?
        No. When powered with just the fan header cable it runs a color change effect no matter what. It's pretty neat looking until nighttime comes. With the 4 pin RGB header cable installed the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software controls the fan RGB colors but not the outer ring RGB; that still does the color change effect. The only way for full control, ring and fan, is to hook it up with the 3 pin usb cable and program it with the Coolermaster Wraith Prism software.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          No. When powered with just the fan header cable it runs a color change effect no matter what. It's pretty neat looking until nighttime comes. With the 4 pin RGB header cable installed the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software controls the fan RGB colors but not the outer ring RGB; that still does the color change effect. The only way for full control, ring and fan, is to hook it up with the 3 pin usb cable and program it with the Coolermaster Wraith Prism software.
          Wow what a pain lol.
          This is why I don't get into RGB stuff.

Comment

So we reached a point when a CPU cooler is a small computer on its own, and requires an elaborated protocol to communicate with its heater.

Comment

Working...
            X