Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Moves Ahead With Enabling LTO Optimizations For Greater Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 21.04 Moves Ahead With Enabling LTO Optimizations For Greater Performance

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.04 Moves Ahead With Enabling LTO Optimizations For Greater Performance

Ubuntu 21.04 is moving ahead with plans to enable compiler link-time optimizations (LTO) by default for package builds in the name of greater performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's good to see that another distributions are following the OpenMandriva path. Mandriva enable LTO few Yeats ago.
    Last edited by xpris; 20 March 2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      It's good to see that another distributions are following the OpenMandriva path. Mandriva enable LTO few Yeats ago.
      Yeah, #t2sde https://t2sde.org was probably one of the first doing so ages ago ;-)

Comment

How does this work? When installing a package, does it require some compile time? Or is this just when compiling the app, and is the install process no different?

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
          How does this work? When installing a package, does it require some compile time? Or is this just when compiling the app, and is the install process no different?
          LTO is done at compile-time by the distribution packagers. Your PC doesn't have to work any harder when installing packages; it's the same as before.

Comment

is this already live? i might do do-release-upgrade -d and try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
              is this already live? i might do do-release-upgrade -d and try it out.
              ubuntu 21.04, as the name suggests, is released in April 2021

Comment

If you are on a Intel 4th generation Core "Haswell" and using the integrated GPU, do not upgrade, there are GPU hangs.

Comment

I've tried Kubuntu daily yesterday. I saw a major regression though for my system (of 10 FPS in Company of Heroes 2 - from 75 to 65 FPS), but I've tried out the new LLVM12 RC3 and compiled 5.12 RC3 with Clang and LTO, maybe it was due to not running the Xanmod Kernel sources there. I certainly will revisit this once 21.04 is released.

Comment

Waiting for the popos spin

Comment

Working...
                    X