Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 40 Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 40 Released With Many Improvements

The big GNOME 40 desktop update is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For Archlinux it appears that this repo already provides 40 https://gitlab.com/fabis_cafe/gnome-unstable at least until the the packages appear in Arch directly. Great work GNOME people. It's a huge and good improvement. Also there are already a bunch of extensions ported. I didn't expect that. <3

Comment

Originally posted by Gnome
      If you are interested in building applications for GNOME 40, look for the GNOME 40 Flatpak SDK, which is available in the www.flathub.org repository.
      I hope this does not mean that GTK4 and Gnome 40 headers will only be available through flatpaks.

Comment

I have to admit that the upgrade path was waaaay better than any major KDE version ever had. TBH I don't even understand why Canonical skipped it in the first place.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Nice! I usually skip every other Fedora release but that likely will not happen this time around. Between the constant improvements offered for AMD hardware, Gnome 40 and other goodies I'm actually very interested in the next Fedora release.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I hope this does not mean that GTK4 and Gnome 40 headers will only be available through flatpaks.
            Of course not. GTK4 is available in Fedora repository for quite long time already

Comment

Restarting shell is still not available on Wayland. Is there any work being done on this?

Is the separate input thread in Mutter (https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/20...ut-adventures/) a first step in the journey to complete some or all of this initiative https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/W...ll/GnomeShell4 ??
              Last edited by expectATIon; 24 March 2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Meh, the constant UI changes make GNOME basically unusable. They want you to study and memorize all these new key combinations and desktop workflows. No thanks, I'll be sticking with the MATE Fedora spin, which has the benefit of excellent stability, predictability, and workflow continuity, which ultimately makes me more productive than any latest trendy UI flavor of the day.

Comment

Seems usable for desktop usage if you like the UI. Though on Wayland
                  -cursor still has input lag of a software cursor
                  -frame presentation with vsync < refresh rate for games in Wine/Proton looks more stuttery than it should
                  -grabbing scroll bar in FF Wayland isn't smooth

Not directly related to Wayland:
                  -changes to GPU gamma ramps still use legacy interface and thus cause missed vblanks
                  -Nautilus' performance of displaying folder content is still really bad

Nice progress overall, but I really hope the next version will be suited better for gaming.

Comment

Disclaimer: I prefer other DEs and use Gnome from time to time out of curiosity.

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Seems usable for desktop usage if you like the UI. Though on Wayland
                    -cursor still has input lag of a software cursor
                    -frame presentation with vsync < refresh rate for games in Wine/Proton looks more stuttery than it should
                    -grabbing scroll bar in FF Wayland isn't smooth

Not directly related to Wayland:
                    -changes to GPU gamma ramps still use legacy interface and thus cause missed vblanks
                    -Nautilus' performance of displaying folder content is still really bad

Nice progress overall, but I really hope the next version will be suited better for gaming.
                    Yes there are still issues, but looking at the (perfect) timing of this release, I'd consider it for enthusiasts.
                    I mean, the usual suspects (Ubuntu, Debian, RHEL, SLES) are not going to ship the new design for months or years, giving time to smooth the many rough edges users will find.
                    I'm quite confident that Wayland will be mostly fine for Ubuntu 22.04, with good Nvidia support too.

If you consider this as alpha/beta software it's in pretty good shape!

Comment

Working...
                    X