Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13 To Fix Its Handling Of Unused ACPI Power Resources

Phoronix: Linux 5.13 To Fix Its Handling Of Unused ACPI Power Resources

Two fixes were queued this week into the Linux kernel's power management "linux-next" branch that could help improve the power management behavior for some devices as up to now the Linux kernel was not properly following the ACPI specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does so many motherboards have non-compliant ACPI tables?
    Big vendors such as Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc have motherboards that their ACPI tables are not compliant.

Comment

My gigabyte x570 can't wake up from sleep or suspend...maybe this will help

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Big vendors such as Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc have motherboards that their ACPI tables are not compliant.
        I guess quick&diry solutions. Management give devs not enough time for prober support. Server and workstation HW is often better supported.

Comment

Does this only affect Intel based motherboards or would this also benefit AMD since this is an Intel fix?

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
            Does this only affect Intel based motherboards or would this also benefit AMD since this is an Intel fix?
            It's a common ACPI fix. The ACPI specification is the same regardless of CPU vendor.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Add HP to that list. After I bought my AMD Bristol Ridge APU based desktop and Bristol Ridge APU based Lenovo laptop I noticed a list a mile long of ACPI errors upon boot up with the HP desktop. There were some with the Lenovo, but around 4. With the HP there were 10 or more. I went looking on the forums to find out why this was and found numerous complaints from even Windows users dating back to 2005 of ACPI errors with HP kit both desktops and laptops. I have never bought another HP device.

Comment

There is no prizes for being compliant. Why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by pkunk View Post
                  There is no prizes for being compliant. Why bother?
                  Fewer things to try to work around in software with various "platform" drivers, that may or may not break as newer versions of windows come out? If they have to fix them anyway, why not one-and-done instead of 4-5 releases of bandaids.
                  Doing it right then also makes the tiny voice of desktop linux users happy, for whatever little bit we're worth.

Comment

98% of the barely functional microsoft morons at MSI can't even say spec, much less code firmware to it.

Trust me. Doing it yourself, in the kernel, is the safest outcome for everyone. Until a US based fab comes online, this is what we're stuck with.

But their complete incompetence idoes have a silver lining every so often.

MSI's CEO Sheng-Chang Chiang has passed away in a freak fall, with the Taiwanese components manufacturer confirming his passing.

Following an investigation, MSI 'found that an error' allowed company sales subsidiary Starlit Partner to access the RTX 3000 graphics cards, which it then sold on eBay at inflated prices.

Comment

Working...
                    X