Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.0-RC4 Released With POWER Fixes, Other Bugs Addressed

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.0-RC4 Released With POWER Fixes, Other Bugs Addressed

Last week saw FreeBSD 13.0-RC3 released as an "extra" build due to the fallout from the last minute WireGuard situation. Due to other bugs, FreeBSD 13.0-RC4 was issued today rather than going for the final release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure i trust the quality of freebsd now.

Comment

their ppc64 should be improved..
      It would be choice for the laptop https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/en/

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
        I wouldn't be so negative. Shitty code gets through in all projects at some point. This shows that there are some problems in FreeBSD's code review/vetting process but ultimately they are remedying it so it's not so bad.

Comment

Can confirm it's a LOT faster than 12.x on my T450s.

Comment

I'm guessing you also don't trust Linux anymore due to the horrible filesystem corruption bug that snuck into an RC release. :roll-eyes:

This is the whole point of RC releases, no?

Comment

I agree, my trust in them has been shaken. With that jail vulnerability awhile back and the recent wire guard debacle I wonder just how much vanilla FreeBSD can be trusted along with derived products like Pfsense. I long for the day I can use OpenBSD for all my computing needs but it still lags in some key areas and is missing some key software pieces, but I think long term OpenBSD is going to be the product to beat; they never have problems like Linux file corrupting bug or FreeBSD crap wireguard implementation or least us not forget that problem in was it FreeBSD 12.x or 11.x or maybe it was head, I don't remember, that had a broken random number generator!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                they never have problems like Linux file corrupting bug or FreeBSD crap wireguard implementation or least us not forget that problem in was it FreeBSD 12.x or 11.x or maybe it was head, I don't remember, that had a broken random number generator!
                none of those made it into a stable release. these kinds of bugs are to be expected if you run unreleased bleeding-edge code.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

none of those made it into a stable release. these kinds of bugs are to be expected if you run unreleased bleeding-edge code.
                  You make a fair point, but it gets you thinking if these almost made it in what did make it in? I'm not going to stop using FreeBSD on my workstation nor Linux on my laptop anytime soon, but these events do make me think, and I'm a slippery slope kind of guy who always sees things progressing to the worst possible conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                  X