Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio Now Ready With Wayland Capture Support

Phoronix: OBS Studio Now Ready With Wayland Capture Support

Well known GNOME developer Georges Stavracas has been working to make OBS Studio fully-working under Wayland and today that reality has been achieved with native Wayland support and the ability to capture monitors and windows on Wayland compositors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if only the Synaptic package manager could get support for Wayland too, then that would be great.
    Wayland doesn't let applications run as root so it needs Synaptic to do some changes, such as using pkexec.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Now if only the Synaptic package manager could get support for Wayland too, then that would be great.
      Wayland doesn't let applications run as root so it needs Synaptic to do some changes, such as using pkexec.
      That is not really true, but it needs some extra work between the compositor and the xwayland implementation.
      If I remember right, its already fixed on gnome since 3.34.

I can not test it with Synaptic but with gparted on my Fedora machine. And it works just fine now.

Comment

Fantastic work, one more crossed off the list of 'Xorg > Wayland' Luddite complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I haven't used Synaptic for twelve years or so, but I remember even back then there were calls to move Synaptic to use polkit instead of running
          the whole UI as root.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlite View Post

I haven't used Synaptic for twelve years or so, but I remember even back then there were calls to move Synaptic to use polkit instead of running
            the whole UI as root.
            Yeah, the last time I saw X11 apps being run by root was back in the Solaris 10 era (Oracle DB installer, SunStudio installer, etc).
            X11 as a protocol is too complex to guarantee safety as root. Especially with heavy toolkits such as Gtk, Qt or Java.
            Many X11 applications detect this and artificially fail if they detect root. I think XTerm did for a while (depending on compile flags I suppose).

That said, it is the same with Wayland. Even if we could run Wayland clients as root, it would be a very bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

That is not really true, but it needs some extra work between the compositor and the xwayland implementation.
              If I remember right, its already fixed on gnome since 3.34.

I can not test it with Synaptic but with gparted on my Fedora machine. And it works just fine now.
              I would like to be able to run Synaptic on native Wayland without Xwayland.

Originally posted by moonlite View Post

the whole UI as root.
              Yes, I remember so too.
              I've been using Synaptic for very long time too, and it is a great application, so I would miss it.

GitHub issue:

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Yeah, the last time I saw X11 apps being run by root was back in the Solaris 10 era (Oracle DB installer, SunStudio installer, etc).
              X11 as a protocol is too complex to guarantee safety as root. Especially with heavy toolkits such as Gtk, Qt or Java.
              Many X11 applications detect this and artificially fail if they detect root. I think XTerm did for a while (depending on compile flags I suppose).

That said, it is the same with Wayland. Even if we could run Wayland clients as root, it would be a very bad idea.
              Maybe the toolkit instead of the application should detect this and refuse to run.

Comment

It'd be cool if OBS had its own compositor/subcompositor so that you could sync your capture targets to its presentation deadlines directly, and manage windows in the OBS window so they never violate your scenes (and so you never capture a window you didn't intend to capture).

Comment

Awesome! This support within OBS is a big missing puzzle piece for me, to switch to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    It'd be cool if OBS had its own compositor/subcompositor so that you could sync your capture targets to its presentation deadlines directly, and manage windows in the OBS window so they never violate your scenes (and so you never capture a window you didn't intend to capture).
                    shouldn't this be a non-issue with wayland not giving access to other windows when you have got just one window access anyways?

Comment

Working...
                    X