Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 12.0-rc4 Released For Squaring Up This Open-Source Compiler

Phoronix: LLVM 12.0-rc4 Released For Squaring Up This Open-Source Compiler

LLVM 12.0 was supposed to be out around the end of February but blocker bugs have resulted in additional release candidates as the developers work to button up this open-source compiler stack release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point I'm thinking GCC 11 will be out before this.

Comment

Clang 12 also adds initial support for the firestorm CPUs used in Apple Silicon A14 and M1. Would be great to compare default OSX clang compiler target with clang14 + -mcpu=apple-a14.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin42 View Post
        Clang 12 also adds initial support for the firestorm CPUs used in Apple Silicon A14 and M1. Would be great to compare default OSX clang compiler target with clang14 + -mcpu=apple-a14.
        If true, that's interesting. I was under the impression that Apple hasn't published detailed pipeline descriptions for any of their own processors for the past 10 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

If true, that's interesting. I was under the impression that Apple hasn't published detailed pipeline descriptions for any of their own processors for the past 10 years or so.
          yes, only arch and feature levels were added: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project...6a2cd9b183ce48. Could still be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
            At this point I'm thinking GCC 11 will be out before this.
            I don't understand people who complain about serious bugs causing release delays.
            Grinch, Take a look at the clang 12 blocker bugs: https://bugs.llvm.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48902

Why on earth would you rather see them release a compiler that gets stuck in infinite loops and generates incorrect code caused by recent regressions? There's nothing stopping you from downloading the RC and building it yourself or using the stable clang 11 binary. What's the big deal with waiting for these bugs to get fixed?

I for one am grateful they have a highly competent release manager who care more about a quality release than meeting an arbitrary deadline.
            Last edited by slacka; 08 April 2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X