No announcement yet.

Proton 6.3-1 Released With More Windows Games Now Running On Linux / Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 6.3-1 Released With More Windows Games Now Running On Linux / Steam Play

Phoronix: Proton 6.3-1 Released With More Windows Games Now Running On Linux / Steam Play

To kick off a new month of Linux gaming, Valve today released Proton 6.3-1 as the latest version of their Wine downstream that powers Steam Play for running Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Right before the holidays, thank you Valve!

Comment

Just tried Quake Champions with this and all animations are super speed and obviously much lower resolution than what the game thinks it is running in. Wonder if it does that for anything else. Had to go back to 5.13. **Forgot to say that's with experimental. 6.3-1 ran fine.***
      Last edited by clintar; 01 April 2021, 06:38 PM. Reason: clarifying

Comment

6.3-1 and experimental are completely broken now, all DXVK don't start and VKD3D games are on super speed.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          Right before the holidays, thank you Valve!
          So I did the "ethical" thing and bought a game from GOG instead of Steam day before yesterday...big mistake that was. No "just click and it works with Proton" on Linux and I forgot how awful the GOG launcher was went I went to install it. The worst part is half the time I launch the game the controller isn't detected (Windows) to the point that it's the most frustrated a game has made me in a long time. Requires rebooting Windows for my DS4 to reconnect. I'm very tempted to get a refund and rebuy the game on Steam in hopes that the controller support is better. I'm game talking about is Bloodstained RotN.

Oh, and when I went to install it with Lutris on Linux to see how that works it errored with a pop-under. When I closed the pop-under AFTER DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING THE GAME it deleted the Wine prefix due to the error. Yay

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So I did the "ethical" thing and bought a game from GOG instead of Steam day before yesterday...big mistake that was. No "just click and it works with Proton" on Linux and I forgot how awful the GOG launcher was went I went to install it. The worst part is half the time I launch the game the controller isn't detected (Windows) to the point that it's the most frustrated a game has made me in a long time. Requires rebooting Windows for my DS4 to reconnect. I'm very tempted to get a refund and rebuy the game on Steam in hopes that the controller support is better. I'm game talking about is Bloodstained RotN.

Oh, and when I went to install it with Lutris on Linux to see how that works it errored with a pop-under. When I closed the pop-under AFTER DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING THE GAME it deleted the Wine prefix due to the error. Yay
            I found Lutris to be a pain, too and as I am not very fond of fiddling with the whole Wine config mess, I very much like the ease of use of Steam games.

Happy gaming nonetheless!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The only thing that makes GOG more "ethical" is that (to my knowledge) they take a smaller cut of the profits. But the way I see it with Steam, a lot of what we as Linux users are paying for is Valve's support of Proton, the kernel, and Mesa. I'd rather give Valve my money in this case. If I were gaming only on Windows, I'd rather support GOG or even Epic.

As for the GOG launcher, I haven't used that in over a year. minigalaxy is a decent open-source alternative, though, once Lutris gained integration, I didn't need that anymore either.
              And speaking of Lutris, I've found that sometimes, it's better to just manually follow the install script. That way if you get an error, you don't have to completely start all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The only thing that makes GOG more "ethical" is that (to my knowledge) they take a smaller cut of the profits. But the way I see it with Steam, a lot of what we as Linux users are paying for is Valve's support of Proton, the kernel, and Mesa. I'd rather give Valve my money in this case. If I were gaming only on Windows, I'd rather support GOG or even Epic.
                AFAIK, Valve's cut is less than GOG's. Well, they ask for same 30%, but Valve gives free keys to sell at other places and gives discount for a volume.
                Some people think GOG is more ethical because it's "no DRM" policy, but actually Valve supports freedom, they show if game has DRM and allow user to decide if he wants to buy such game. Some people, who believes in monopoly power, think that Valve could use its power to force publishers to abandon DRM, but this is just nonsense. So, in my view, Steam is most ethical for free ("as freedom") software proponent. It still sells licenses as any other, but it almost doesn't limit freedom of contract and at least Valve spends some little share of their revenue to contribute GNU projects.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

As for the GOG launcher, I haven't used that in over a year. minigalaxy is a decent open-source alternative, though, once Lutris gained integration, I didn't need that anymore either.
                  And speaking of Lutris, I've found that sometimes, it's better to just manually follow the install script. That way if you get an error, you don't have to completely start all over again.
                  All the GOG games are DRM-Free and they offer offline installers. That's the more ethical part. Any game you buy from there is your game. You'll never have to resort to using piracy tools to run your legit game with a smooth experience because the DRM sucks so bad like with Crash Bandicoot 4. I was totally wanting to buy that game until I started reading about all the DRM issues it has with Battle.net. A single player game having online connection issues is a hard pass for me. I know there are high seas options, but that's just not me these days. Got a hella long backlog of games that won't jerk me around like that so I just don't bother if the company is gonna be that much of an asshole.

So I was proof reading and, well, is GOG games like ATM machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                    AFAIK, Valve's cut is less than GOG's. Well, they ask for same 30%, but Valve gives free keys to sell at other places and gives discount for a volume.
                    Some people think GOG is more ethical because it's "no DRM" policy, but actually Valve supports freedom, they show if game has DRM and allow user to decide if he wants to buy such game. Some people, who believes in monopoly power, think that Valve could use its power to force publishers to abandon DRM, but this is just nonsense. So, in my view, Steam is most ethical for free ("as freedom") software proponent. It still sells licenses as any other, but it almost doesn't limit freedom of contract and at least Valve spends some little share of their revenue to contribute GNU projects.
                    Plus the DRM on Steam, Epic, and others allows for offline play and tries really hard not to get in the players way when connection issues happen. Single player games like Hitman and Crash Bandicoot 4 with always on DRM are what we should be fighting against. Ethical DRM allowing offline play isn't so bad. Always on and required for full features DRM is horrible.

GOG with their offline installers, however, means you never need to do the initial check in to run a game which sets them apart. From an end of the world, Zombie Apocalypse, point of view GOG is the better choice because of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X