Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Beta Released For This Linux 5.11 Powered Update With Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 21.04 Beta Released For This Linux 5.11 Powered Update With Wayland By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.04 Beta Released For This Linux 5.11 Powered Update With Wayland By Default

The beta of Ubuntu as well as its various flavors/derivatives is out ahead of the official "Hirsute Hippo" launch later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Ubuntu 21.04 Beta is out for the desktop/server/cloud products along with the 21.04 betas for Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, UbuntuKylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu.
    This can't be possibly true, only Gnome 4 and KDE 5 out of them support Wayland.

Comment

I noticed a nasty AMDGPU bug in 5.11.0 with waking monitors from DPMS, hope they upgrade to 5.11.11 soon!

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        I noticed a nasty AMDGPU bug in 5.11.0 with waking monitors from DPMS, hope they upgrade to 5.11.11 soon!
        they alreadu rebase the kernel for new verision, they use another time of verion look to them changelog in launchpad

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          This can't be possibly true, only Gnome 4 and KDE 5 out of them support Wayland.
          It's default only for Gnome and with compatible drivers.
          It makes sense to release it now a whole year before the next LTS, because I expect lots of issues once more casual users start to run Wayland and expect everything to just work

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

they alreadu rebase the kernel for new verision, they use another time of verion look to them changelog in launchpad
            Right, they just rebased to v5.11.7. But I want 5.11.11 for the
            drm/amd/display: Enable pflip interrupt upon pipe enable
            change. ( https://lwn.net/Articles/851166/ )

Comment

Ah, I see you're tired of trolling TechPowerUp.

Comment

There is something more important than Gnome 4 and KDE 5 that you did not think of. Ubuntu Graphical Installer so Wayland by default can nicely equal that not using X11 any more.

It can absolutely true thinking that mainline Ubuntu 21.04 is a Gnome 4 desktop other desktops are in Officially approved forks include KDE 5 or in the Universe repository as third party parts.

Ubuntu/Kylin is also the also the gnome desktop default.
                Kubuntu is of course KDE
                Ubuntu Studio with 20.10 changed from Xfce to KDE.

So this is already over half that will be able to default to Wayland out the box.

Ubuntu MATE it might be X11 this time around but. https://github.com/wmww/mate-wayland-snap Mate is getting really close to being Mir based Wayland support.

That leaves the 3 problem childs going forwards Lubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, and Xubuntu.

We are in the actively deployment stages of Wayland. Those who have not been progressing on a Wayland plan now will be under constant pressure to get to Wayland because like it or not X11 on bare metal disappearing out of distributions well and truly written on the wall now. Question is just how far in the future is this event 1 to 8 years. Serous-ally it could be as fast as major distributions removing X11 on bare metal inside a year from now.

Comment

Raspberry Pi now has Transparent Huge Page support. I filed a bug a while ago, and they addressed it in 21.04. It should boost performance a bit for apps that request huge pages (looking at all you folks running Minecraft servers or QEMU on $35 SBCs).

Many props to the Ubuntu folks who fixed this rift between ARM64 and RPI flavors.

Comment

I am waiting for 3d acceleration and KMS driver on Raspberry pi,
                    KMS driver is ready on kernel 5.11 but 3d accelerations isn't ready

Comment

Working...
                    X