Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Starts April By Landing KHamburgerMenu

Phoronix: KDE Starts April By Landing KHamburgerMenu

The pandemic is still not showing any signs of slowing down KDE development but with the new month brings more changes and improvements to this open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that is just a joke..... (or at least able to toggle)
    ...also:

It offers an escape valve for users who hide the menubar by accident! This is a surprisingly serious problem, and KDE’s bugtracker is littered with reports from users who did not figure out how to show their menubar again!
    And why not fix the bugs then? Sadly there IS a way to hide the menu bar permanently and not have a way back (sometimes not even the keystroke for re-enabling the menus (Ctrl-M) works).
    By using Application Menu Bar and then removing the bar after opening some apps, the menu bar goes away permanently.
    The only way to get it working again is by setting something in the app's rc, but Average Joe won't bother...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 03 April 2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I hope that is just a joke..... (or at least able to toggle)
      From Nate Graham's post:
      1. ...
      2. It allows users who want maximum vertical space to choose to hide the menubar without losing GUI access to the menu items, or having to activate the titlebar-based menubar or global menubar (maybe they don’t like those; we’re all about choice in KDE after all!).
      Last edited by JackLilhammers; 03 April 2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

> The only way to get it working again is by setting something in the app's rc

Have you tried pressing Ctrl+M?

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
          1. ...
          2. It allows users who want maximum vertical space to choose to hide the menubar without losing GUI access to the menu items, or having to activate the titlebar-based menubar or global menubar (maybe they don’t like those; we’re all about choice in KDE after all!).
          Seems like the right mindset to me indeed (if it works as expected obviously).

Either menubar or hamburger menu depending on what the user prefers.
          Not just one forced on you and then go eff yourself for the other.

Comment

For me the problem with Hamburger Menus is I prefer smaller fonts for more screen space which makes their menu entries small and harder to use unless extra padding is added. Hamburger or regular menu, that's a problem for me.

My biggest issue with them is that I'm not a fan of hieroglyphics. Seems like outside of Open, Close, and Minimize that all bets are off. Open a new program and "Is that a magnifying glass or a search function?"; open another and "I think the plus means new, but new what? Nope. It expands the tool bar". Just gotta hope they have good tool tips...and having to hover over every hieroglyphic to learn what it does sucks. And then you change the theme and have all new glyphs to learn

Words might take more space but they make it more readily apparent what is going on. I wish I felt like writing all of this in emoji to better make that point.

I miss the old layouts that had options to turn the words on and off. Don't know about y'all, but I'd rather turn on the obnoxious training wheels than figure it out with trial by fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Or what suits the application best, while still letting the user choose

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

What's funny is if the GNOME/GTK3/CSD combination would have had it optional, some key command to turn the menus back on or drop 'em back in or whatever, I probably would have never tried KDE. But forced icons only or placed in a nested menu...ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  My biggest issue with them is that I'm not a fan of hieroglyphics. Seems like outside of Open, Close, and Minimize that all bets are off. Open a new program and "Is that a magnifying glass or a search function?"; open another and "I think the plus means new, but new what? Nope. It expands the tool bar". Just gotta hope they have good tool tips...and having to hover over every hieroglyphic to learn what it does sucks. And then you change the theme and have all new glyphs to learn
                  It's also kind of funny when they become outdated and you have a floppy disk icon representing the save action lol. I like glyphs in general but like you said they should always have good tooltips so you can get the text representation also. Without glyphs it is impossible to get a compact menu.

Comment

"This is helpful for those wanting to hide the main menubar for conserving vertical space,"

There's me thinking this is 2021 where screen size has vastly increased along with resolution and not 1995 where everyone was on 800 x 600 using a pokey 14 inch monitor. I want less clicks, not more.

Comment

Working...
                    X