Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Ported Early To The Linux 5.12 Kernel

Phoronix: Reiser4 Ported Early To The Linux 5.12 Kernel

Normally we don't see the out-of-tree Reiser4 file-system ported to new Linux kernel releases until after the inaugural stable release, but this time around Reiser4 has seen an early port to the near-final Linux 5.12 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ReiserFS is a interesting FS, no matter what.
    The people who make murder jokes or demand a rename are just childish at this point.

Edit: Reiser was sentenced to 15 years in 2006. Does someone know when he will be released?
    Last edited by Alexmitter; 08 April 2021, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Partition my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        The people who make murder jokes or demand a rename are just childish at this point.
        indeed. I used to use Reiser3 at the time and it was absolutely great for my need. One of my old server running Reiser3 was shutted down only a couple of years ago after some 15 years of service without a single issue.

Edit: Reiser was sentenced to 15 years in 2006. Does someone know when he will be released?
        Never tought about that: it would be interesting to see if he's going to work on the FS again when he'll be released. I actually think it would be great for him and for the FS too.

Comment

As of 2020, Reiser is housed at the Correctional Training Facility near Soledad, California, with a tentative parole eligibility date of March 2023 after parole had been denied for three years following a parole suitability hearing on March 5, 2020.[62]

He will be 59 at that time, so I doubt he will return to programming.

According to a former Namesys employee, Hans Reiser is not depressed: "He has completely withdrawn from information technology, although he tries to help as much as he can, but to participate fully he needs a computer, which he is not supposed to have. And since Hans can't sit idly by, he's been loading up on books and starting his old hobby - physics. Here, he found some inconsistencies in the special theory of relativity and asked to find a Russian scientist who would review his new article. He followed with interest the initiatives of Minister Andrey Fursenko, who, in his opinion, tried to revive the former prestige of Soviet science and education. He believes that there is a place for foreigners in his project, and he says that he is ready to move to Russia and learn Russian at last.
          Last edited by birdie; 08 April 2021, 06:39 AM.

Comment

I have the same issue with Reiser4/5 as I do with ZFS -- Out Of Tree. Meaning bootloader support and more is iffy at best so it had better have some damn good features to pull a user over to it. The difference between Reiser and ZFS and my usage in regards to out of tree is that ZFS has more and better features for advanced setups and that other in-tree Linux file systems are close to feature parity with Reiser4.

I don't see the point of Reiser4/5 until v5 gets built-in volume management to take on ZFS zpools and BTRFS subvolumes. If Reiser offered that level of flexibility then it would be a much more appealing file system. And the flexibility of being able to willy-nilly create pools with oddball features for every use-case under the sun without having to dick with partition tables is a godsend. Once you get used to that it's hard to go back to the old way of doing things. You mean I have to go back to mounting loops or resizing disks? No thanks.

Comment

Can you tell me what Reiser 4 has actually to do with the old Reiser file system or with Hans Reiser? And why should you name a file system after a murderer? Shall this be some kind of anti-PR for this fs?

Comment

There we go again, into the Reiser arena. Gentleman, pick your swords!

Comment

Hide your kids, hide your wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    And why should you name a file system after a murderer?
                    That's why nobody wants to live on Washington Streets or Admiraal De Ruijter streets either and all those houses are just falling apart because of all the vacancies…. oh wait, in reality only few people care about something named after murderers.

Comment

Working...
                    X