AMD Finally Flipping On ASPM For Navi 1x To Lower Power Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Finally Flipping On ASPM For Navi 1x To Lower Power Consumption

Phoronix: AMD Finally Flipping On ASPM For Navi 1x To Lower Power Consumption

AMD engineers have a patch pending to improve the idle power consumption for Radeon RX 5000 "Navi 1x" GPUs on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! I hope that AMD is getting the message about lowering power usag

Comment

True story: I call this one "Bloodstained Then Assassin's Creed Origins During the Past Week".

On Windows I can play games at 4K for hours and hours on end. On Linux, same games same settings at 4K my GPU over heats and conks my system out within 5 minutes. I can get around that by upping thermal limits in the UEFI, but if I'm hitting sustained 95C....I suppose conking and hard resetting is better over long term GPU damage in the current market where I'll have to replace my $130 RX 580 with a $500 RX 580...WTF...GPUs are not supposed to appreciate in value.

Comment

If the fans don't adjust accordingly to the GPU temperature, this is a bug and should be reported.
        I certainly didn't experience something like that with any AMD GPU (Polaris 10, Navi 10, Navi 21).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          If the fans don't adjust accordingly to the GPU temperature, this is a bug and should be reported.
          I certainly didn't experience something like that with any AMD GPU (Polaris 10, Navi 10, Navi 21).
          Oh, they do. Gets so noisy I worry. Both OS. Even on Windows I'm pushing the limits at those settings, 89/90C. That's true 4K. On 50% scaled 4K or 1080p it isn't a problem; 70/80C.

Like I said, it's my UEFI settings doing it, not the GPU. I have it set to cut off at 95C. Linux at full 4K happens to hit it with GPU that can really isn't made to handle those settings. It's a 4GB 580. True 4K gaming is pushing it well beyond it's intended uses. Scale or change the resolution, dial back some settings, and now we're in business.

IMHO, pushing the hardware beyond its limits and having it get so hot it crashes with my slightly lowered UEFI thermal settings isn't necessarily a bug. I do think it shows more of a reason for AMD to provide a GUI so we can have an official way to do Chill, set up Fan Curves, catch bugs and offer to report them, and things like that.

Comment

I read "AMD Finally Flipping the Bird to ASPM."

Comment

Great, if only manufacturers actually sell laptops with AMD dGPUs.

Comment

I hope that those shiny Navi GPUs won't suffer from occasional freezes due to ASPM, like ancient GFX9s do.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                  I hope that those shiny Navi GPUs won't suffer from occasional freezes due to ASPM, like ancient GFX9s do.
                  ASPM is not implemented for gfx9 parts yet.

Comment

This is good news but when is AMD going to make an app on linux to officially control thermals

Comment

Working...
                    X