Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Talks Up Logica As Open-Source Programming Language For Data Manipulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Talks Up Logica As Open-Source Programming Language For Data Manipulation

Phoronix: Google Talks Up Logica As Open-Source Programming Language For Data Manipulation

Google engineers are responsible for a number of programming languages like Go, Kotlin, and Dart while their newest one to be made public is Logica...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kotlin has been / is developed by JetBrains, not Google.

Comment

Oh god not another one.

Stop making a new product every month just for it to go neglected by everyone including Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        Oh god not another one.

Stop making a new product every month just for it to go neglected by everyone including Google.
        Corporate CADT?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
          Oh god not another one.

Not sure what you're talking about there. Both Go and Dart are used extensively at Google and have been steadily gaining in popularity.

Comment

Good for them, but I don't think the syntax looks as readable as SQL personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post
              Good for them, but I don't think the syntax looks as readable as SQL personally.
              If you read this post, it's not just about the readability. English is plenty readable but it has inconsistent rules and different implementations. English 1.0 is nearly impossible to understand if you only know modern English, and modern English has its own problems.

Whether or not this will be used by people outside of Google is a good question, but the way I see it, if it's useful to Google AND they open source it, then they did at least some good.

Comment

This seems pointless to me. They’re not wrong in their criticisms, but they are assuming you are writing the SQL yourself.

In Clojure we have honeySQL, which lets us generate SQL query strings from Clojure data structures. So verification is trivial, since it’s data like any other. It’s also easy to manipulate programmatically, and easier to read than a logic programming language.

I think logic programming itself is interesting, but just for generating SQL? That’s a tough sell imo.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

Not sure what you're talking about there. Both Go and Dart are used extensively at Google and have been steadily gaining in popularity.
                  Not Go and Dart, but take a look at all the others.

Comment

Also, kinda funny how obviously Logica's syntax is "Go and Prolog had a baby".

Comment

Working...
                    X