Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRVK 0.4 Released For Running AMD's Mantle API Over Vulkan

Phoronix: GRVK 0.4 Released For Running AMD's Mantle API Over Vulkan

While AMD's Mantle graphics API development has been suspended for more than a half-decade already with the Vulkan API successfully taking off, the open-source GRVK project continues to let Mantle unofficially live on by re-implementing its interfaces over Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do believe Dragon Age Inquisition had Mantle API support? or was that just 16bit floats? I can't remember now.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I do believe Dragon Age Inquisition had Mantle API support? or was that just 16bit floats? I can't remember now.
      Yes, it seems Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of the few games that supported Mantle. Not sure how well it worked though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...rt_Mantle_(API)

Comment

I thought Mantle and Vulkan are very similar. But I only know from hearsay. And yes, I only remember one or two games maybe supporting it, then Vulkan specs were released and everyone went Vulkan.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          I thought Mantle and Vulkan are very similar. But I only know from hearsay. And yes, I only remember one or two games maybe supporting it, then Vulkan specs were released and everyone went Vulkan.
          You're correct. It's somewhat based off of Mantle. They offered it to the Khronos Group. It was more of a working proof of concept.

Comment

Crashing NVIDIA drivers was my life, when I was writing graphics applications lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Vulkan is indeed similar to Mantle, mostly because Mantle was donated to Khronos Group by AMD. Some Vulkan API functions are the same as they were on Mantle, only prefix changed from "gr" to "vk". On the other hand Vulkan is not identical to Mantle - there are some differences like render passes. This is probably caused by the fact that Vulkan was also designed to work on mobile GPUs while Mantle was limited to desktop GPUs.

Comment

Civilization V supported Mantle for sure

Comment

Vulkan is a more generalized and refined version of Mantle, like a 2.0 version.

The main difference lies in how descriptor sets are handled, GRVK currently implements it accurately but it's extremely slow and uses too much memory, it will need rework. The shader format is also different, AMDIL vs SPIR-V, but it proved to be less of a pain point than I envisioned because AMDIL is quite similar to DXBC.

Comment

What's the purpose behind this? Sounds like a waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X