No announcement yet.

GCC 11 Releasing Next Week With Intel AMX, New CPU Support, More C++20/C++23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 11 Releasing Next Week With Intel AMX, New CPU Support, More C++20/C++23

Phoronix: GCC 11 Releasing Next Week With Intel AMX, New CPU Support, More C++20/C++23

GCC 11 is expected to be released next week following its recent release candidates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A significant change that is not explicitly mentioned here : modules are there!

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
      A significant change that is not explicitly mentioned here : modules are there!
      Do they finally support partitions? A halfway implemented feature is kind of useless...

Comment

" New x86_64 CPUs supported by GCC 11 on the Intel side include Sapphire Rapids, Alder Lake, and Rocket Lake. AMD Zen 3 CPUs also have initial support in place. "

Wait...can somebody clarify this ?? Am I to correctly surmise from the above statement that an Intel CPU that hasn't even been released yet _ ( Alder Lake ) _ is already supported in GCC 11 but AMD Zen3s which have been out are only at _ " initial support " _?

" Arm CPUs now officially supported include the Cortex A78, A78AE, A78C, X1, and R82. The Arm Neoverse V1 and Arm Neoverse N2 are also now supported. The Fujitsu A64FX is also now supported. On the ARM front GCC can also now make use of auto-vectorize operations on complex numbers using the advanced SIMD instructions, of ARMv8.3-A, SVE, SVE2 and MVE. "

THIS...is good news indeed !!

" AMD Radeon GCN back-end now supports the gfx908 back-end, a.k.a. the AMD Instinct MI100 "

Once again on the AMD front, Wait ... What?? This card has been out for years. What gives??

Comment

Making C++17 as DEFAULT Standart is the one in which I am most excited. In KDE they already ported to use all plasma to c++17 and the KDE Framework part also will be c++17 with incoming versions. The most important thing is that QT6.x will just support the ONLY c++17 so it will make a really good cleanup of all systems.
          Last edited by usta; 25 April 2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post
            Making C++17 as Standart is the one in which I am most excited. In KDE they already ported to use all plasma to c++17 and the KDE Framework part also will be c++17 with incoming versions. The most important thing is that QT6.x will just support the ONLY c++17 so it will make a really good cleanup of all systems.
            GCC has supported C++17 since GCC-7.1, enabled via -std=c++17. GCC-11.1 merely makes C++17 the default.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

GCC has supported C++17 since GCC-7.1, enabled via -std=c++17. GCC-11.1 merely makes C++17 the default.
              I know that , that was what I wanted to say ( making it default ) but because of English is not my native language I mentioned it wrongly . I will edit my comment about it.
              I want to say that people who were using gcc now have 2 options 1 -to fix their code to make it compatible with c++17 ( there are a couple of things that breaks compile )
              2- fix their cmake/makefile to make it explicitly change compile flags that force gcc to compile with lower standard.

Comment

I just tried to fully automatically bootstrap a new system w/ the GCC 11 RC, ... buuuutt, LTO seems to be pretty broken to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwXbszvOyS0 to the point where it is useless. Can anyone test and reproduce this? ;-)

Comment

File a bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                    File a bug report?
                    who? me? that is over my pay grade. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X