Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.2.177 Released To Help Graphics Translation Layers

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.2.177 Released To Help Graphics Translation Layers

Vulkan 1.2.177 is out today as the newest version of the Vulkan specification and this time around introduces one new extension that aims to help OpenGL translation layers and potentially other implementations atop this graphics API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This should allow zink to handle OpenGL flat shading and thus render e.g. glxgears correctly.

Comment

I wonder if there was any advantage in having the Vulkan use the first vertex rather than the last.

Comment

Originally posted by Markopolo View Post
        I wonder if there was any advantage in having the Vulkan use the first vertex rather than the last.
        I believe it was done that way because that's the way D3D had done it. There were a few other similar type of convention changes for the same reason, and Metal also did the same thing.

D3D had become the industry standard for graphics so it was considered more helpful to be compatible with it than with OpenGL.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 26 April 2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Markopolo View Post
          Just simple reason came to my mind: If the last vertex is used, it means you have to submit two dummy attribute values to the pipeline, while only the third and following is used (when rendering triangle strip), thus wasting memory and bandwidth. If the first vertex is used, you use the first and second attribute value immediately while you might omit the sending of the last two attribute values of the triangle strip. In short, you save memory bandwidth. Depending on number of triangle strips and their length, it might make a difference.

Comment

Working...
          X