Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB + Thunderbolt Updates Hit Linux 5.13

Phoronix: USB + Thunderbolt Updates Hit Linux 5.13

Greg Kroah-Hartman sent in the big batch of USB and Thunderbolt subsystem updates on Monday for the in-development Linux 5.13 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel makes second rate tech, but I really have to give them props for keeping all their drivers current. Really, it's much appreciated.

We still can't even get full energy and temps on amd cpus. Why I gotta dkms that shit just to see if my cpu is about to catch fire? If it wasn't for the bios, we'd all be F'ed on AMD silicon.

I hope AMD begins taking the software portion of their business seriously again, and stop dabbing their balls on adrenaline drivers when they can't even get that basic stuff right.

Comment

Kernel 5.12 gives me a
      Code:
      thunderbolt: probe of 0000:00:0d.2 failed with error -110
      failure on my TGL system. Hopefully this issue will be addressed with these fixes. My bug reports remain unnoticed so far...

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        I hope AMD begins taking the software portion of their business seriously again, and stop dabbing their balls on adrenaline drivers when they can't even get that basic stuff right.
        None of this has to do with thunderbolt or USB, but...

I don't know why, but over the past year my experience with AMD has gone somewhat downhill. It's like they're focused more on newer GPUs so things like my "crappy and old" 4GB 580 aren't getting tested as well as they should or could. Windows is worse than Linux with the latest drivers. It's a humbling reminder that the latest isn't always the greatest.

On the Windows side my issues are mostly intensive gaming related with their 21.3 (20.50 drivers) and up drivers (including the newest 21.10)...and somewhere along the 20.45 releases is where the green screen standby resume issue cropped up. Green resume screen withstanding, 20.45 series is the only one I can game on without crashing. I have a Ryzen 4650 Pro APU so I can only go so far back with the AMD drivers.

The latest 21.10 actually catches the crashes and almost fixes them -- played for 30 minutes instead of 5 before it hung. The crash recovery kicks in everything is resolved aside from this issue where my GPU fan goes from 0 to Max so I reboot (better than before with a blank screen and a hard power off). That's promising. Hopefully they get the kinks in their crash recovery system resolved. The problem with 21.10, however, is I'm plagued with macro-stutters where 20.50 would hang and crash. Yes, macro-stutters. 3-5 second pauses.

On Linux I've really only used a few 5.10 and 5.11 kernels with a small amount of games and just didn't have the stellar experience I'm used to. I need to go and try some older and LTS kernels and see if they get better or worse in regards gaming and driver stability.

Comment

All those years of Intel overpricing 4 core CPU's gave them the margins to support writing and maintaining drivers and code for a majority of their product.

All of those years of AMD cutting costs just to stay alive forced them to do software for only the product that have enough margin left, (gaming GPU's).

We all cheer when AMD undercuts Intel on CPU price but the day will come when Intel as part of the cost cutting will cut some corners as well.

Can't have it both ways.

Cheap CPU's = less money for software development

AMD could have used their recent windfall to beef up software, but they bought Xilinx instead.

So perhaps, Xilinx has a solid software team that AMD can leverage.

Probably won't know until 2022 when the companies integrate fully.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            On the Windows side my issues are mostly intensive gaming related with their 21.3 (20.50 drivers) and up drivers (including the newest 21.10)...and somewhere along the 20.45 releases is where the green screen standby resume issue cropped up. Green resume screen withstanding, 20.45 series is the only one I can game on without crashing. I have a Ryzen 4650 P
            Michael Not sure if you have time, but is there some way to set the forum software to make font size changes like this impossible? Font size of 8px is ridiculously tiny and of no use to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Michael Not sure if you have time, but is there some way to set the forum software to make font size changes like this impossible? Font size of 8px is ridiculously tiny and of no use to anyone.
              It is when you don't want to fill the page with a wall of text when you're rambling on with much ado about nothing. In that regard it's the courtesy size.

For the record, I'm on a 55" monitor. It is small, yet readable, on my screen. I suppose if you were on a 4K 22" monitor it would be microscopic. All the pieces for a rant about DPI, PPI, and font sizes with a follow up reply of XKCD Standards are in here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                For the record, I'm on a 55" monitor. It is small, yet readable, on my screen. I suppose if you were on a 4K 22" monitor it would be microscopic. All the pieces for a rant about DPI, PPI, and font sizes with a follow up reply of XKCD Standards are in here somewhere.
                This is a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I had to copy and paste it into a text editor to read it. I was too curious to just skip it. I tend to click to reveal spoiler / hidden text too. It's hard for me to resist.

Comment

This is a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I had to copy and paste it into a text editor to read it. I was too curious to just skip it. I tend to click to reveal spoiler / hidden text too. It's hard for me to resist.
                  You could also use the enhance/enhance/enhance function on your browser...

Last edited by M@GOid; 27 April 2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Ditto. It's both a good and bad compulsive behavior. My method is to ctrl+scroll first and then copy/paste if that messes up the formatting too much.

Comment

Working...
                    X