NVIDIA RTX 30 Series vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance For April 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA RTX 30 Series vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance For April 2021

Phoronix: NVIDIA RTX 30 Series vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance For April 2021

With recently receiving the rest of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 "Ampere" line-up we had no access to previously for testing, the past few weeks were busy with testing/re-testing these new graphics cards as well as prior GeForce RTX 20 series hardware and relevant AMD Radeon graphics cards for offering a current look at the 1440p and 4K Linux gaming performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The first triple slot card in years! (and probably a first time for NVIDIA)

I can't even buy these cards due to excessive pricing... (you know what to blame)

Comment

really nice seeing amd being competitive at the top end. all awhile using open drivers and mesa. really shows open source can be high performance. i wish amd sent you a 6900xt to test as i have one but looking at the 3090 and 6800xt i can kinda guess where it would be.

overall eager for ray tracing to be supported on mesa. i can understand the lack of rush since not that many games support it. but they are coming in. even old games like WoW uses it for shadows. i know amd is behind on windows in ray tracing since this is their first ever series to support it, but its more for future titles on future cards.

Comment

I'm a little surprised how much faster the 3090 is vs the 3080.

Is that a pretty (factory) overclocked model, i wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          The first triple slot card in years! (and probably a first time for NVIDIA)

I can't even buy these cards due to excessive pricing... (you know what to blame)
          Actually I have a 1660 Ti or some 16xx model that was triple slot oddly enough.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

It ought to be a lot faster considering the size, cost, and spec difference.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

No they were all the "Founders Edition" / NVIDIA designs except for the 3060.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Michael Why are the 4k results for dirt rally 2 3840 x 1600 instead of 3840 x 2160?

Comment

It'd be interesting how these compared with a slower CPU. There are Windows benchmarks showing that a fast CPU is more important to Nvidia than AMD and I wonder if this is the case for Linux too.

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post
                    Michael Why are the 4k results for dirt rally 2 3840 x 1600 instead of 3840 x 2160?
                    DiRT Rally 2.0 as of a recent update needed to be in an ultrawide mode or other select resolution otherwise the config file would not be honored and would reset to 1080p or so.... No idea if a succeeding DiRT Rally 2.0 update has since changed that or not but at least as of a month or two back that was the case and 3840 x 2160 wouldn't be honored even though it worked fine previously for the game.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X