Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam on Linux Gaming Marketshare Steady For April

Phoronix: Steam on Linux Gaming Marketshare Steady For April

For those curious about the Steam on Linux gaming marketshare always as we begin a new month, Valve published their April 2021 figures overnight...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wonder how Steam decides which user to ask for the survey.
    There was a time where I got it regularly, then I haven't got asked for it for about a year and now today I was asked again.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      I really wonder how Steam decides which user to ask for the survey.
      There was a time where I got it regularly, then I haven't got asked for it for about a year and now today I was asked again.
      RNGesus

Comment

I wonder what's the point of reporting something which hasn't been changing in any meaningful direction for the past 10 years. Linux since its inception has been a clusterfuck which no game developer wants to touch with a ten-foot tent pole. Some poor sods touched it and went bankrupt as it turned out Linux users are so few and far between, commercial projects are detined to fail a priori. Linux gaming is currently Wine/Proton gaming - yeah, the best part of Linux is an implementation of APIs from a proprietary OS which people here relish hating. That's how sad the whole situation is.

Comment

Just wait until we see the Linux-only timed exclusive of Half-Life 4.

Comment

I'm wondering what numbers would be if they tracked VMs as a separate metric for those who prefer that route.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
              I'm wondering what numbers would be if they tracked VMs as a separate metric for those who prefer that route.
              Running Steam in a VM running Linux? Why??? Out of all Linux users it's gonna be I guess less than a dozen individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Running Steam in a VM running Linux? Why??? Out of all Linux users it's gonna be I guess less than a dozen individuals.
                No, running Stream in Windows VM while host is Linux. I think significant number of Linux users, myself included, came to this setup eventually as the easiest to maintain and most compatible with games.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post

No, running Stream in Windows VM while host is Linux. I think significant number of Linux users, myself included, came to this setup eventually as the easiest to maintain and most compatible with games.
                  This is inaccessible for most of inexperienced users out there and requires two GPUs. And then you're actually running Steam under Windows, not Linux, so its reporting is 100% correct.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

This is inaccessible for most of inexperienced users out there and requires two GPUs. And then you're actually running Steam under Windows, not Linux, so its reporting is 100% correct.
                    Which is exactly why I was curious what would numbers look like if there was a separate chart of usage under VM. I didn't say reporting is incorrect.

Comment

Working...
                    X