Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Creator 4.15 Released For This Qt/C++ IDE

Phoronix: Qt Creator 4.15 Released For This Qt/C++ IDE

The Qt Company today released Qt Creator 4.15 as the newest version of this open-source Qt and C++ focused integrated development environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very pleasant to use IDE... was using it for a long period of time!

Comment

Its my goto IDE for getting started with a c++ project.
      Very nice editor.

Comment

Autocomplete is a bit slow for me when writing Qt/C++.

Comment

Sometimes I use Qt Creator when working on C kernel code, for Linux as well as the BSDs. Great IDE.

Comment

For C++ (and Qt UI design) it is quite decent but lacks a good refactoring support. Simple renaming works most of the time but not always. There were some cmake annoyances as well. However comparing to JetBrains family of IDE (like IntelliJ or CLion for C++) it is insanely fast, both in startup and operation, because it's a native app, not a JVM monstrosity.

Comment

I used QtCreator a lot but lately VSCode + clangd extension has been my default for C++ and has a plus of allowing having my Angular code in the same workspace

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                Autocomplete is a bit slow for me when writing Qt/C++.
                Yeah, everything using C++ introspection has slowed down since they switched to the clang backend. At least it is more correct now and understands more code, but rather annoying to have to wait a few seconds for feedback in large files instead of being shown stuff immediatly like it used to be.

Comment

I've tried using it multiple times, but have never managed to feel comfortable in it. It's like it wastes to much usable work-space, is a bit to slow, lacks refactoring tools, and the behavior of the drop-down list instead of multiple tabs infuriates me.
                  I'm sad to say it, but I really wish it behaved more like Visual Studio. There are lots of ways in which VS is pretty bad, but it usually gets out of my wat when it comes to basic navigation (Go To Symbol/Go To File/Go To Line), editing, auto-completion and now it also has great refactoring/static-analysis proposals inlined in the editor.

Don't get me wrong, I work at least 8 hours a day in Visual Studio (since my work is Windows-focused) but I've been using Gentoo Linux full-time since 2002, at home.
                  When coding at home, I usually use Vim with YouCompleteMe with clang backend, but I feel that I end up customising Vim (now NeoVim) more than I actually spend time coding.
                  That's why I've been meaning to move to QtCreator instead, but like I said, that hasn't quite hit the spot either.
                  Last edited by Azpegath; 06 May 2021, 04:12 AM.

Comment

I've added the option Prefer single line comments in the Text Editor section.
                    It's the tiniest change, but I absolutely hate how Qt Creator handles block comments by default.
                    Also I don't like the default shortcut for toggling comments, but that could always be changed

Comment

Working...
                    X