Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Hiring More LLVM Compiler Engineers

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Hiring More LLVM Compiler Engineers

Not only does Red Hat continue investing heavily in GCC and the GNU toolchain but it turns out they are ramping up their LLVM compiler talent as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile there has also been the recent talks of potentially forking GCC away from the FSF/GNU.
    Ohhh noooo STALLMAN xD

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Red Hat continue investing heavily in GCC and the GNU toolchain
      So much for the RMS-critical rhetoric. They keep assigning copyrights to Stallmann's FSF.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
        Ohhh noooo STALLMAN xD
        Again with this? They want to move GCC away from GNU?!
        I don't think this will be a good thing... What is so wrong with Stallman?!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Again with this? They want to move GCC away from GNU?!
          I don't think this will be a good thing... What is so wrong with Stallman?!
          I don't know, people are just too sensitive about his personal views on pedophilia.
          Yeah, his views are dumb, but let him be a part of FSF/GNU.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            What is so wrong with Stallman?!
            Making excuses for sex slavery, eating dirt off his feet on stage, ... Pick one.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Making excuses for sex slavery, eating dirt off his feet on stage, ... Pick one.
              So what? the gnu utils as well as the GCC are very useful programs that run healthy accross many OSs.
              So many celebrities have done so much worse stuff than RMS yet it doesn't change the fact that some of their movies are amazing classics. All humans are flawed.

For those who prefer compiling in LLVM Clang for technical reasons, more power to you, it is a great tool. Nonetheless GCC is a compiler that has a lot of lifetime on it, forking such big projects over personal disputes is insanely childish and harmful for all the open source ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by ezekrb5 View Post
                Nonetheless GCC is a compiler that has a lot of lifetime on it, forking such big projects over personal disputes is insanely childish and harmful for all the open source ecosystem.
                GCC has been forked before. The current development line descends from a fork named EGCS that got blessed/renamed as GCC in 1999 after Stallman admitted that his tight-fisted control of the GCC repo had allowed it to wither, while EGCS was vibrant and growing moreso.

Comment

For those looking for the reference to the GCC fork discussion, here's the "starting" message (its a forked conversation): https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/20...il/235340.html

The quoted message is here (thread can be traversed from there, or read in its entirety in the March/April archives): https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/20...ch/235218.html

I'm more interested in what Red Hat's long term vision for supporting LLVM/Clang is; i.e. how they plan on using it, where they are looking to improve it, do they see it as a more appropriate future in certain areas, etc. It's always good to have competition, and Clang has definitely helped GCC improve across several fronts. Makes me wonder what the LLVM and GCC folks within Red Hat are up to (will they be working in parallel on anything)

Cheers,
                  Mike
                  Last edited by mroche; 06 May 2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
                    I'm more interested in what Red Hat's long term vision for supporting LLVM/Clang is; i.e. how they plan on using it, where they are looking to improve it, do they see it as a more appropriate future in certain areas, etc.
                    Mike
                    LLVM/Clang is the clear future for some use cases by RH's customers, and RH has consistently preferred to be part of the ecosystem for projects that their customers depend on (so they can help address their customers issues quickly, and to be part of the conversation about improvements that will help those customers). Sometimes that is easy, and sometimes that is hard, but that does not change the preference, and adding good people to LLVM helps everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X