Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-Zip 21.02 Alpha Released With Sources, More Linux Improvements

Phoronix: 7-Zip 21.02 Alpha Released With Sources, More Linux Improvements

Earlier this year with v21.02 Alpha, 7-Zip added initial Linux support upstream at long last. Out this week is now version 21.02 alpha that continues to refine the Linux support while also now punctually publishing the source code too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously this guy still using sourcefoge?

Comment

I miss the xpk libraries from the good old Amiga days. Back then programs just had to support the xpk library and compression algorithms was written as plugins for the library itself. This meant you could use your favourite tool and it magically worked with any (de)compression algorithm there was a plugin for... Those where the days.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        I miss the xpk libraries from the good old Amiga days. Back then programs just had to support the xpk library and compression algorithms was written as plugins for the library itself. This meant you could use your favourite tool and it magically worked with any (de)compression algorithm there was a plugin for... Those where the days.
        systemd-compress incoming. 3, 2, 1...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I actually think systemd solves more problems than it created. I mean get the heck away from my home directory, but systemd-compress , or perhaps even systemd-endec would make sense which provide a single API that could allow loading of all kind of image formats, compression formats, etc... somewhat like the Amiga datatypes

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
            That's still the case on modern Amigas. AmigaOS 4 still supports all of that and the upcoming AmigaOS 5 will too.

Comment

taking linux mint in consideration (and this is probably hosted upstream in ubuntu or even upperstream in debian) we have file-roller acting as a gui for various compression libraries (afaik designed as standardized plugins)

there is likely nothing preventing 7zip code from being forked and hammered into proper shape to act as such a plugin, and/or other compression GUIs from using the same plugins

what would make this awesome is the 7zip devs adopting this modularized architecture themselves instead of keeping their compression code tied to their GUI and wasting other people's time to maintain a timely updated fork

lets hope they see the value in that instead of a threat to "their" thing... by the way, what's the license they used now?

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                lets hope they see the value in that instead of a threat to "their" thing... by the way, what's the license they used now?
                LGPL and unRAR.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

systemd-swap handles compression

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                    Seriously this guy still using sourcefoge?
                    What's wrong with Sourceforge? Isn't it owned by the slashdot company?

Comment

Working...
                    X