No announcement yet.

Coreboot 4.14 Released With 42 New Motherboards Added, AMD Cezanne APU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot 4.14 Released With 42 New Motherboards Added, AMD Cezanne APU Support

Phoronix: Coreboot 4.14 Released With 42 New Motherboards Added, AMD Cezanne APU Support

It's been a half-year already since Coreboot 4.13 was released so out now is Coreboot 4.14 that is represented by over thirty six hundred new commits adding dozens of new motherboards now supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh well. A Pine, a Purism, some System 76. And Chromebooks.
    The usual. Nothing to see here, move along!
    *sigh*
    Seems to me like Coreboot will dwindle down to some nearly Google-exclusive thing. It needs more manufacturers to step up and contribute.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      *sigh*
      My sentiment exactly. On paper there is tremendous promise, but this thing isn't widely supported. I would like to use free firmware, but it needs to be accessible. A few exotic boards. Compile it yourself and pray to the gods you don't brick your hardware. Nah. I need something that has more ease of use and is just downloading a file and flashing it, if it needs updating. For now, that simply means accepting proprietary UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
        I would like to use free firmware, but it needs to be accessible. A few exotic boards. Compile it yourself and pray to the gods you don't brick your hardware.
        Chromebooks use coreboot in a way that it's pretty much impossible to brick them. And even if you turn off all the support wheels and manage to make the system unbootable, you can recover your system with a simple USB-C debug cable that's available at lots of "maker" onlineshops (e.g. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14746), and you won't be able to kill _that_ functionality.

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
        I need something that has more ease of use and is just downloading a file and flashing it, if it needs updating. For now, that simply means accepting proprietary UEFI.
        Purism and System76 provide tested coreboot images + update utilities.

So what do you want, a hackable platform? Something "simple" that is open source (but you only install the binaries)? Both options exist.

(Full disclosure: I did that coreboot release. I also work on Chrome OS firmware.)

Comment

*sigh*
          Seems to me like Coreboot will dwindle down to some nearly Google-exclusive thing. It needs more manufacturers to step up and contribute.
          I already asked one of them. Brings no value to them. Many of the OEM's have perpetual site licensing and internal controls over their BIOS sources.

Comment

*sigh*
            Seems to me like Coreboot will dwindle down to some nearly Google-exclusive thing.
            Purism and System76 are part of Google?

Did you notice the AMD and Intel reference boards that are now supported? Those tend to be the basis for many products including lesser-known ones from companies like Protectli, Kontron, and Siemens.

It needs more manufacturers to step up and contribute.
            Getting manufacturers to step up is easy: Vote with your wallet.

Demand comes from customers. Purism, System76, and others who see a demand from their customers will make it part of their products. Companies who maintain their own infrastructure and need transparency and control will, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
              So what do you want, a hackable platform?
              i want modern off the shelf motherboard

Comment

Would be nice if Lenovo adopted it on the thinkpad line

Comment

Originally posted by davidhendricks View Post

Purism and System76 are part of Google?

Did you notice the AMD and Intel reference boards that are now supported? Those tend to be the basis for many products including lesser-known ones from companies like Protectli, Kontron, and Siemens.

Getting manufacturers to step up is easy: Vote with your wallet.

Demand comes from customers. Purism, System76, and others who see a demand from their customers will make it part of their products. Companies who maintain their own infrastructure and need transparency and control will, too.
                  -Purism is out of reach for most people. It is something the upper middle classes and upper classes can afford. System76... Well, sorry for them, but they offer their generic boring normal thin laptops with nothing special about them. They are no specially good value either. Coreboot would be the only serious reason to purchase one.

-if what you say that some of those boards are base for more models... well, that's actually some good news!

-Voting with the wallet is one of the biggest bullshit crap ever invented. It serves nothing. With those kind of mainstream products, if 80% of the population demands a certain product, and 20% demands a different one, all companies will rather fight to death for that 80% market than a single one satisfy the 20% and enjoy a market without competition. Have you ever tried to find a laptop with removable battery? that doesn't offer "being thin" as a selling point instead of I/O and thermal dissipation? How many laptops offer AMD CPU's? When was the last time non autotuned non pop music was featured on a top 10 list?. Mate, those "voting with the wallet", competition improves the product, etc are just fairy tales. The world doesn't work like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X