No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS / 20.10 / 21.04 Performance On Intel Xeon Scalable Ice Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS / 20.10 / 21.04 Performance On Intel Xeon Scalable Ice Lake

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS / 20.10 / 21.04 Performance On Intel Xeon Scalable Ice Lake

While there is more to consider when choosing a Linux distribution than just the out-of-the-box performance, for those curious about the performance of recent Ubuntu releases for running with Intel's new 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake" processors, here are some benchmarks showing how the performance has improved from Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS to Ubuntu 20.10 and now the recent Ubuntu 21.04 Linux release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I found most interesting was the .10 release being the worst. I went in expecting either similar performance between the three or seeing .10 in between the two .04's.

Comment

Very interested to see how Clear Linux will do too!

Comment

What about the test: old golang binary[with sqlite3 or other libs] compiled on centos 7.0 and then brought into the new OS and run in docker or kube container?

Comment

Pretty sure that Clear Linux and Fedora outranks in Ubuntu benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            What I found most interesting was the .10 release being the worst. I went in expecting either similar performance between the three or seeing .10 in between the two .04's.
            Might have to do with 20.04 being at 20.04.2 and having benefitted from part of the work that went into 20.10 and 21.04.

Originally posted by pranav View Post
            Pretty sure that Clear Linux and Fedora outranks in Ubuntu benchmark.
            Pretty sure Clear Linux does but Fedora doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Might have to do with 20.04 being at 20.04.2 and having benefitted from part of the work that went into 20.10 and 21.04.

Pretty sure Clear Linux does but Fedora doesn't.
              That's a good possibility. I've also noticed Ubuntu likes to try stuff out on their .10 and non-LTS releases which can be detrimental to overall performance. I'm not sure if that's the case here; haven't even given the .10 change-log a good one over.

Comment

Some mean/toxic people comment on 21.04 release: Why bother releasing it? I thought the figures explains all.

Comment

Working...
                X