Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

Phoronix: Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

It's sounding like a vendor is readying to publish a "big" new open-source driver, likely a GPU driver, for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oooh, if NVIDIA provides signed firmware and proper open source drivers, I might actually buy and use NVIDIA.

Otherwise it's Intel Xe HPG dGPU for me.

Comment

It could be from someone in the ARM side. Plenty of stubbornness toward Linux from that people.

Comment

Does Imagination Technologies have an open source driver?

Comment

I'd speculate one of two things. Either its ARM Mali, or Intel ran into some unsurmountable problem in porting i915 to discrete cards given its assumed iGPUs for so long. Theres no way in hell its Nvidia, their whole business model is holding you by the balls with their proprietary secret sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
            Does Imagination Technologies have an open source driver?
            Not yet. Maybe that will change soon?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              It could be from someone in the ARM side. Plenty of stubbornness toward Linux from that people.
              I guess so, too. Mediatek, Qualcomm or Samsung? I'd say Mediatek.

Comment

ARM would be nice to get longer lifetime on Mobile Phones and less delay on the new Android versions. The arm related GPUs are already being worked on and it is just fair to get the rest of the chips on the SOCs upstreamed too.
                Microsoft DirectX would be nice so we end the troublesome translation layers once and for all with upstream quirks by the upstream developer and designer of DX.
                Nvidia would be nice too to take the battle with AMD to the next level. It is hard to understand why they still want to do all driver work alone.
                Samsungs Exynos is also something i could imagine. It is the other big soc vendor people around me are using and i always dislike it when a samsung device doesn't have qualcomm , the best maintained soc by the community in terms of upstreaming.

But everything that brings progress to the linux kernel is welcome. Even if i don't own any of the related hardware.

Comment

Hoping it's Vivante....

Comment

Originally posted by In_Mint_Condition View Post
                    Hoping it's Vivante....
                    Does that fall under "big"?

Comment

Working...
                    X