Raspberry Pi PoE+ HAT Announced With Greater Power Capability For $20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi PoE+ HAT Announced With Greater Power Capability For $20

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi PoE+ HAT Announced With Greater Power Capability For $20

Raspberry Pi's Power over Ethernet HAT is beginning to face production challenges caused by the supply chain crisis so now the Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced the PoE+ HAT that is not only easier to produce but also can provide more power in conjunction with supported switches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm happy that PoE is getting so much official support. It's just a bit expensive and noisy (even at idle).

The latest revision of 802.3af-only HATs are at least working well. I have been using it for a few small projects.

I don't have a desired at this point in time to use that much power, but the new components should work more efficiently and it's the same price as the previous PoE HATs so I'll be getting some of these in the future.

Comment

I wonder how big of a heat sync would be needed to replace that fan...

Comment

To bad you need a "hat" for it, and it doesn't support PoE out-of-the-box.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          To bad you need a "hat" for it, and it doesn't support PoE out-of-the-box.
          Thats just economics, modularity and personal needs.

I really like the poe hat and have an ssd attached as use as a media sharing local storage, plus pihole, torrent and some other network services. Really like the versatility

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            I'm happy that PoE is getting so much official support. It's just a bit expensive and noisy (even at idle).
            I would also love for them (and other makers of RPI accessories) to do a collaboration with Noctua and get some properly quiet fans.

Comment

You don’t need a hat to run a Pi over PoE. It’s called a PoE splitter. You can get them that split Ethernet off to a barrel Jack and/or all sorts of USB.

Comment

Why should they be trusted now?

Are we to assume, from this, that the Raspberry Pi group has decided to admit they can't do the simplest of electrical engineering design tasks (the design of a linear--analog--power supply); or, even worse: can not even COPY a "suggested design" straight out of the manufacturer's data sheet without first checking that the "suggested design" MIGHT NOT BE SUITABLE TO BE OFFERED AS ONE OF THEIR CATALOG PRODUCTS?

What's that you say? Raspberry Pi doesn't COPY designs?
                Well, you're right about that one. They not only DON'T copy designs, but have so much hubris that they cannot / won't even copy a design without screwing it up. Do the RPI4's USB-C problems ring a bell? THAT problem was due to the fact that all the the RPi group had to do was simply to copy the reference design provided in the USB-C specification. But, wouldn't you know?-- the RPi Group knew better than the USB-C folks--so they changed their implementation of that reference design SO THAT IT NO LONGER WORKED!

Have Raspberry Pi hired an electrical engineer who is competent in the design of electronic product? I seriously doubt it; they know too much to ever do that. Just ask them.

Has Eben Upton's advisers decided that there have simply been too many stupid mistakes made, since day one, for his dissembling and tap-dancing all around RPi problems--which has been Upton's stock-in-trade response to ANY Raspberry Pi shortcoming--to not work any longer, and to have started being a liability, as well as being exceedingly transparent? I seriously doubt it; the monumental stupidity has been going on far too long.

Who did THIS design? If you're going to use it, you'd better hope it wasn't one of the Raspberry Pi Group's vaunted "designers". Unless, of course, you haven't yet had enough.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                  Why should they be trusted now?
                  I have to agree with all of this. The RPF has a very long history of making really obvious mistakes with their hardware designs. I don't know what it is about their internal structure, but they seem to be missing any kind of functioning review process. To make matters worse their attitude seems to be to not admit making any mistakes and to instead "double down" on them. The Rpi 2 was relased on Feb 2015 and raspbian was still ARMv6hf. There was no launch day ARMv7 version of raspian. There still isn't to this day. A year later the Rpi 3 was released which was ARMv8. There was no 64 bit raspbian on launch day. They're still working on that over five years later.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

I have to agree with all of this. The RPF has a very long history of making really obvious mistakes with their hardware designs. I don't know what it is about their internal structure, but they seem to be missing any kind of functioning review process. To make matters worse their attitude seems to be to not admit making any mistakes and to instead "double down" on them. The Rpi 2 was relased on Feb 2015 and raspbian was still ARMv6hf. There was no launch day ARMv7 version of raspian. There still isn't to this day. A year later the Rpi 3 was released which was ARMv8. There was no 64 bit raspbian on launch day. They're still working on that over five years later.
                    The end-users and content creators don't seem to care enough to notice the dirt that's swept under the rug. This is also frustrating to me. For example they still have not updated their https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/why...e-or-meltdown/ I rant about it every now and then.

The 64 bit raspbian is a fundamental problem with hardware that is not _fully_ mainlined, that said I have been running 64 bit rasbpian for more than a year. You have to spend time to test updates or not update your OS at all since updates frequently broke (parts of) the system.

From a technical perspective it's sad to see so little effort put into these important areas, however their product is doing really well so again I think not that many people care about the "finer" details.

Comment

Working...
                    X