Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Double: A New DRAM Rowhammer Vulnerability

Phoronix: Half-Double: A New DRAM Rowhammer Vulnerability

The Rowhammer security exploit affecting DRAM memory modules has a new chapter with Google now detailing "half-double" as a new technique for exploit of system memory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let me try to wrap my head around this. Is this about exploiting physics itself?

Comment

Ughhhhh, everything has a vulnerability.

But doesn't this require the user to change the memory timings or something before it can be carried out?

Comment

I blame javascript and browsers for all shiit it's happening right now

Comment

Does it affect ECC RAM as well?

Comment

So this means that your DDR4 memory modules are UNRELIABLE. It is as simple as that. Using the RAM for what it is intended for means you don't get back what you stored. RAM after all means RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY and if you can not access your memory randomly which includes in sequence and often it is something terribly wrong with the design.

aht0 If this actually affects ECC RAM I would assume the ECC corrects it before it is too late , or the ECC module gets offlined once it starts throwing "errors".

This is like driving a car and have all your tires go flat if all the valves happen to be at the same angular position at once. Obviously a design mistake - people should NOT accept this kind of crap.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Ecc-Ram is affected if it is possible to manipulate the Checksum. Probably this is manufacturer dependent, but in general I would say also affected, but way harder to exploit, since you need to change both at around the same time.

Comment

I suppose, this time, my being a lazy cheapskate who's still on a DDR3-based system works in my favour.

Comment

ECC explication would be thousands if not millions of times harder to make in this case I guess. That's why I only build ECC PCs now. Thanks to Ryzen its affordable and duable.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                    ECC explication would be thousands if not millions of times harder to make in this case I guess. That's why I only build ECC PCs now. Thanks to Ryzen its affordable and duable.
                    For sure, if it doesn't have ECC, I'm not interested. All my home systems are Opteron, Xeon, or Ryzen with ECC. Like Linus' recent rant on the subject, ECC ought to be mandatory at this point.

Comment

Working...
                    X