Benchmarking AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Linux Performance With A $450 Lenovo Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Linux Performance With A $450 Lenovo Laptop

Phoronix: Benchmarking AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Linux Performance With A $450 Lenovo Laptop

The AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with six cores / twelve threads within a Lenovo laptop at $449 USD is quite a steal. This is also my first time benchmarking the AMD Ryzen 5 5500U after waiting months on Ryzen 5000 series laptop availability. Here are some initial benchmarks of the Ryzen 5 5500U under Ubuntu 21.04 Linux against various other Intel/AMD laptops.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

great review and great cpu, a lot of cpu power with gb of ram is nice machine

Comment

I think it's a mistake AMD didn't go for Zen3. When comparing per-core performance, Intel is catching up.

Comment

I think it will be interesting to see benchmark results after putting all of the CPUs to performance mode. I also hope for governors benchmark some day with addition of energy usage.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I think it's a mistake AMD didn't go for Zen3. When comparing per-core performance, Intel is catching up.
          I'm sure there was a focator of chip shortage on new process, contractual obligations to fabs etc.
          Besides that, Zen2 versions aren't always worse than new Zen3, so using them in 5500U and 5700U makes plenty of sense.
          5700U is priced as old 4700U, but performs better than 4800U.

HP has a nice 17" Pavillion laptop with upgradable 2 RAM sticks with 5700U for $600+...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            There are Zen 3 laptop chips, AMD just didn't use them for the budget lineup. Tigerlake isn't priced to compete with these cheaper chips.

Although I also find it curious as to why AMD stuck with Zen 2 for part of their lineup. I'm guessing TSMC/manufacturing limitations may have played a role.

Comment

the blender times are interesting: ice/tiger lake can't sustain their high frequencies for very long, so intels benchmark boost is useless there. makes the 5500U even more impressive, despite the zen2 core.

Comment

Not expecting this comment to live long but:
                • AMD Ryzen 5 5500U is a Zen 2 CPU, not Zen 3 as Michael claims which means in single threaded tasks they are almost the same.
                • The major difference between 4500U and 5500U is that the latter has SMT and slightly beefed up graphics, Vega 7 vs Vega 6 previously (an extra EU, plus 20% higher frequency).

Comment

Finally an entry-level laptop that brings the cost back into affordable territory. And I'm only saying "entry-level" because of RAM and storage, the CPU itself is beefy enough.
                  You can probably get one of these with 16GB RAM and 500GB storage for under $800.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Finally an entry-level laptop that brings the cost back into affordable territory. And I'm only saying "entry-level" because of RAM and storage, the CPU itself is beefy enough.
                    You can probably get one of these with 16GB RAM and 500GB storage for under $800.
                    When searching for a new laptop a couple months ago, I've found a lot of these really fast-but-affordable laptops only came with 8GB of RAM, and were typically soldered on with no upgrade path. I'm sure this Lenovo uses soldered RAM. This is made more significant for AMD, where dual-channel makes a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X