No announcement yet.

Archinstall 2.2 Released For Improving This Easy-To-Use Arch Linux Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archinstall 2.2 Released For Improving This Easy-To-Use Arch Linux Installer

Phoronix: Archinstall 2.2 Released For Improving This Easy-To-Use Arch Linux Installer

Added to the Arch Linux install media back in April was Archinstall as a quick/easy installer for the Linux distribution. Released today is now Archinstall 2.2 as the latest advancement for this convenient Arch Linux installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used the previous release yesterday morning and I'm glad to see 1 of the 2 annoyances I had "fixed". The way my UEFI works I had to select the UEFI: USB instead of the USB entry in my boot menu to get the installer to work in UEFI mode. Fixed is in quotes because it's a lot more user error than an Archinstall issue. Since I'd rather use UEFI over MBR boot options I'm actually glad it had an issue and didn't work to send me in the right direction.

I wonder if that'll cause just as many issues as it fixes? I might have accidentally done an MBR type install on the this release.

Issue 2 is a simple one: There was no indication that anything is going on at the end of the install when packages are being installed. I sat there for like 5 minutes twiddling my thumbs hoping it didn't freeze up. It didn't.

Overall I liked the installer. Has that old-school feel to it.

To anyone keeping track: If I ran that yesterday morning that means that I couldn't make it 24 hours on Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I used the previous release yesterday morning and I'm glad to see 1 of the 2 annoyances I had "fixed". The way my UEFI works I had to select the UEFI: USB instead of the USB entry in my boot menu to get the installer to work in UEFI mode. Fixed is in quotes because it's a lot more user error than an Archinstall issue. Since I'd rather use UEFI over MBR boot options I'm actually glad it had an issue and didn't work to send me in the right direction.

I wonder if that'll cause just as many issues as it fixes? I might have accidentally done an MBR type install on the this release.

Issue 2 is a simple one: There was no indication that anything is going on at the end of the install when packages are being installed. I sat there for like 5 minutes twiddling my thumbs hoping it didn't freeze up. It didn't.

Overall I liked the installer. Has that old-school feel to it.

To anyone keeping track: If I ran that yesterday morning that means that I couldn't make it 24 hours on Fedora.
      The installer should show progress now as packages are being downloaded and installed.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

The installer should show progress now as packages are being downloaded and installed.
        So 2 out of 2 are fixed. Nice

Comment

This looks cool. I used to use Arch Linux many years ago (back before they originally dropped their installer). I like the idea of Arch Linux and I like PKGBUILDs. But there is deal-breaker issue that prevents me from going back: The lack of debug symbol packages (or a debug symbol server these days I guess). Given the low level C/C++ development work I do, I absolutely need debug symbols for many distro libraries that my programs are linking. So Debian and Ubuntu it is for me these days.

Comment

It's a pity it doesn't work for me, I'm always unlucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
              This looks cool. I used to use Arch Linux many years ago (back before they originally dropped their installer). I like the idea of Arch Linux and I like PKGBUILDs. But there is deal-breaker issue that prevents me from going back: The lack of debug symbol packages (or a debug symbol server these days I guess). Given the low level C/C++ development work I do, I absolutely need debug symbols for many distro libraries that my programs are linking. So Debian and Ubuntu it is for me these days.
              FYI arch is thinking about creating a debug symbol server.

Comment

I've tried the installer. It runs slower than setting up your system manually. It also doesn't do entries for you if you chose multiple kernels and use systemd-boot as boot manager. So you have to do extras manually. And it omits the conf part in the entries it does do. So you have to fix this as well for extra entries to work as well.

What it does do is give you easy access to systemd-boot standard kernel, systemd-networkd and probably btrfs / filesystems. But I prefer ext4, dhcpcd without network-manager since I don't use vpn or fancy stuff that much. And grub since it does not need systemd-hooks.

It's a very easy to use installer for a clean system with no desktop selected, but all in all it's not optimal.

Comment

Working...
                X