GRUB Adds Backup/Restore Safeguard, Support For Going Beyond Year 2038

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB Adds Backup/Restore Safeguard, Support For Going Beyond Year 2038

Phoronix: GRUB Adds Backup/Restore Safeguard, Support For Going Beyond Year 2038

The GRUB bootloader saw some fresh feature work merged this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does grub care about timestamps on files? I would have assumed that all it need to do at boot time is to be able to read file names and data.

Sure, if the underlying data format on disk changes it need to adapt to it, but why would it need to keep track of the date internally after that?

Arguably, why should grub need to worry about time at all (not just for files, but at all).

Comment

Meanwhile it continues to look bad on EFI systems with hi res displays (aka most computers) because there's still no proper resolution support

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
        Why does grub care about timestamps on files? I would have assumed that all it need to do at boot time is to be able to read file names and data.

Sure, if the underlying data format on disk changes it need to adapt to it, but why would it need to keep track of the date internally after that?

Arguably, why should grub need to worry about time at all (not just for files, but at all).
        You can list files on a partition and partitions in the grub console.
        And there it will show dates and times like last modification time of the filesystem of the partition and stuff like that.
        I don't think it's needed for the booting process itself.

Comment

Come on, I thought it was 2038-ready...

Comment

Now the big question is if this will work or make GRUB even more error prone in the long run... crossing my fingers!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              Meanwhile it continues to look bad on EFI systems with hi res displays (aka most computers) because there's still no proper resolution support
              Hm, that might be the fault of the UEFI itself. I've noticed that if I boot directly to GRUB it looks bad, but if I start the UEFI's screen for choosing which OS to load, and then start GRUB through that it uses the full resolution and looks good.

Same problem with Windows as well.
              ​​​​​​
              that's on my desktop, on my laptop it works fine.

Comment

Working...
              X