Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Linux Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Linux Performance

Last week the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti review embargo lifted while today NVIDIA has lifted it on the RTX 3070 Ti ahead of the official availability tomorrow. Here are the initial Linux gaming benchmarks looking at the performance of the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti up against the rest of the GeForce RTX 20 and RTX 30 series GPUs as well as AMD's Radeon RX 6000 series competition.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll take it when you're done with it.

Currently running on a lowly, buggy, R9 280x

Comment

why buggy?

Comment

Kudos to Nvidia! I am toying with possibly getting a 3070 TI though I really want the 3080 TI. Their Linux support is second to none. I have a 3090 for use in AI/ML work and it is untouchable in performance Would like to replace the 1070 I use for gaming while the 3090 is being hammered training.

Comment

Pretty impressed with how far AMD has come. There's talk of RDNA3 coming out December 2021? In the unlikely event that I'd be able to get one... Might be a great time to switch! Switching right now is pretty out of the question even if you only look at availability alone.

Also, it's finally registered with me that Arkham Knight on Proton is a thing and appears to run relatively well. While the game has its flaws, I absolutely love it. While I spend most of the game gliding around on foot, the tank missions eventually grew on me and became a lot of fun. Anyway, the Proton result is probably quite a bit better than the native game we were supposed to get considering how it took them 6-9 months (I forget exactly how long) to fix the Windows port.

I've always had pretty great performance with the Arkham Knight PC port once it was fixed up with the important caveat that the game must absolutely be run from an SSD (SATA SSD's are sufficiently fast). The game's streaming performance is the only real remaining issue.

The only real complaint I have with the game is one important aspect of the ending... The rest of the ending I was pretty happy with. However, I won't spoil anything even for 6 year old game.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
            Kudos to Nvidia! I am toying with possibly getting a 3070 TI though I really want the 3080 TI. Their Linux support is second to none. I have a 3090 for use in AI/ML work and it is untouchable in performance Would like to replace the 1070 I use for gaming while the 3090 is being hammered training.
            You got to be kidding.

Comment

It's nice to see how Linus from LTT has doubled down on his garbage take regarding 3080Ti value yet again. I guess the ego does it's thing when you are so big...

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

You got to be kidding.
                Just because it isn't open source doesn't mean it isn't good. They're pretty fast with getting out new features, updating to newer kernels, they provide a GUI, and they usually have really good day one support. Intel and AMD might have FOSS drivers but NVIDIA does edge them out once you look at features and tools offered.

I'd still buy AMD as someone who installs a lot of operating systems, but I totally get why people would want an NVIDIA GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                  It's nice to see how Linus from LTT has doubled down on his garbage take regarding 3080Ti value yet again. I guess the ego does it's thing when you are so big...
                  The RX 580 is value. The GTX 1060 is value.

I'd love to see cards with their price/performance ratio released today without scalper prices. That would be value.

Comment

What's the deal with the 6800 perf being so slow. It should be much closer to the 6800XT

Comment

Working...
                    X