Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.13 To Allow Controlling The Second Fan On The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.13 To Allow Controlling The Second Fan On The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9

Phoronix: Linux 5.13 To Allow Controlling The Second Fan On The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9

For those thinking about picking up a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 laptop powered by Intel's latest-generation "Tiger Lake" processors, that model will see its second fan now properly supported by the current Linux 5.13 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These new ThinkPads are less Think and more Pad...

Fragile, thin, and port-anemic....

Comment

Why should we be fiddling with fan speeds?

Let UEFI handle it. That's what it's supposed to do.

If it's too loud, throttle the processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Why should we be fiddling with fan speeds?

Let UEFI handle it. That's what it's supposed to do.

If it's too loud, throttle the processor.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What do you mean with "new"? The X1 models have been pretty much the same for years now. My X1 Gen3 is certainly thin and light but IMHO it's not fragile and it has enough ports for my use case. The latest Gen9 model has 2 more USB ports than my Gen3 which is nice. The cooperation between Lenovo and Red Hat is working out well so I hope more vendors will follow so the entire Linux Community can benefit.

Comment

That's because you're expected to use docks with them.
            Though personally, I don't see them being all that fragile.

Comment

while I do prefer the "old school" thinkpad (the T420/x420 era), new thinkpads are good enogh. (writing from a T480s with docking station)

Comment

So does this also enable dual fan control on the X1 Yoga Gen 6? Or would that have to be enabled manually?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

That's because you're expected to use docks with them.
                  Though personally, I don't see them being all that fragile.
                  the carbons are vanity laptops for managers competing with macs but clueless pro-sumers buy them at full price and complain about heat issues throttling the cpu. If you want a Thinkpad to do work look at t series. If you have business acct usually u can get laptop plus dock for the laptop list price off the website.

Comment

Nice! Was already wondering why I only saw one RPM output in the list of sensors
                    Pity though that stuff like this isn't fixed by Lenovo themselves, they've started selling the gen9s with Linux preloaded, you'd hope/expect for them to take care of this things. Wondering if they did but haven't upstreamed the changes yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X