Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge Motherboard Now Works For Coreboot (ASUS P8Z77-V)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge Motherboard Now Works For Coreboot (ASUS P8Z77-V)

Phoronix: Another Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge Motherboard Now Works For Coreboot (ASUS P8Z77-V)

While Intel engineers have been working on Alder Lake support for Coreboot as with other recent CPU generations that open-source firmware/BIOS support remains focused on their reference boards with a particular focus on meeting necessary requirements for Google Chromebook devices. Sadly, there is not much or any in the way of consumer retail motherboard support at this point. For those looking for retail desktop motherboard support for Coreboot, aside from the open-source POWER9 systems out of Raptor Computing, on the x86_64 front it largely means using aging Intel and AMD platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yey, I have that, with 24 gigs of ram and a 3770k - it is almost as fast (10-30% slower overclocked to 4.3 ghz) as the 500$ notebook I got a few months back.

Comment

Not that it matters with open source drivers but, would Crossfire still work on that with Coreboot?

Comment

Oh my god, I have that! It feels like Bingo!

But I think I'll chicken out - anyone made experiences with this?

Edit: wait - it's an ASUS P8Z77-V LX - that's not the same, is it?
        Last edited by reba; 14 June 2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
          Edit: wait - it's an ASUS P8Z77-V LX - that's not the same, is it?
          Probably not. And the revision number also matters.

Comment

This is the exact motherboard I have, I may have to give this a try! Finally, I knew one day my strategy of never upgrading my i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz would pay off! Totally on purpose, I swear.

Comment

From some years ago experience with coreboot, perform a comparison of the board model's chipsets, etc. It is very likely the bios can be ported to similar boards. Some may require slight modifications.

Also, my Gigabyte Z77 (up7 I think) has dual bios chips for backup. ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X