FWUPD 1.6.1 Adds FreeBSD UEFI Capsule Handling, More Hardware Now Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWUPD 1.6.1 Adds FreeBSD UEFI Capsule Handling, More Hardware Now Supported

Phoronix: FWUPD 1.6.1 Adds FreeBSD UEFI Capsule Handling, More Hardware Now Supported

A new feature point release is available for FWUPD for handling of system/component firmware and BIOS updating on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't use FreeBSD (been over a decade since I last tried it) but it is really cool that firmware updating is supported by more open source operating systems. Hopefully it will now also be easy to port this to other BSDs.

Comment

It has been a total fail for me.

I tried it on two DELL XPS 13 laptops, couldn't find even a single firmware for all that hardware, then I tried it on several Fedora desktops running typical Intel i7 hardware, again nothing to update, even tried it on a gaming desktop with all sorts of bells and whistles (samsung SSD, samsung NVME, integrated water cooling, radeon graphics card etc), again nothing found, no firmware.

Has anyone actually found something to update?

Comment

I've updated my Logitech Unifying Receiver, a Dell thunderbolt Dock and the motherboard on my thinkpad laptop using fwupd. However, I've got loads og components without support

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post

I tried it on two DELL XPS 13 laptops, couldn't find even a single firmware for all that hardware, then I tried it on several Fedora desktops running typical Intel i7 hardware, again nothing to update, even tried it on a gaming desktop with all sorts of bells and whistles (samsung SSD, samsung NVME, integrated water cooling, radeon graphics card etc), again nothing found, no firmware.

What XPS 13 models? I have a DELL XPS 13 9360 and 9310 (2020). I have update the uefi on both using LVFS/fwupd. On the 9360, I've also updated the thunderbolt controller's firmware.

Comment

No idea the exact model, but they are much older, probably 6 years old? Their BIOS is from 2019.

Comment

I've found UEFI updates for my Inspiron 15 Gaming, from ~2017. For a while it was keeping up with Dells website, but then in 2019 one update was missing for 3 months. I posted a bug on the fwupd Github, fwupd referred me to dell's fwupd firmware bug tracker and dell added the firmware the same week as I posted the bug.

I'd say that's decent support - it was nice to have more visbility into updates. Normally Dell suggests subscribing to email alerts about firmware updates

Comment

Dell XPS 13. Supported devices on my model are: system firmware, UEFI dbx, and NVMe drive.

Comment

Stupid question: is there any consumer motherboard/brand that is supported?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                    Stupid question: is there any consumer motherboard/brand that is supported?
                    Here is the list of currently supported devices. Specific device support depends almost entirely on the hardware vendor.

Comment

Working...
                    X