Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noctua Launches NH-P1 As High-End Passive CPU Cooler

Phoronix: Noctua Launches NH-P1 As High-End Passive CPU Cooler

For those that have been wanting to build a passively cooled PC or at least keeping the number of fans to a minimum, Noctua just officially announced the NH-P1 as their high-end passive cooler. It's a massive heatsink but aims to be able to cool higher-end AMD and Intel desktop processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now they are releasing this... F**k you Noctua I am a bit sceptical about this higher end part though.
    I think passive cooler will not be sufficient to dissipate heat from "7nm" or 10nm chips (high thermal density nodes). In the same way air coolers are worse in dissipating than water coolers due to different thermal resistance (I think this is how it is called) of coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
      Now they are releasing this... F**k you Noctua I am a bit sceptical about this higher end part though.
      I think passive cooler will not be sufficient to dissipate heat from "7nm" or 10nm chips (high thermal density nodes). In the same way air coolers are worse in dissipating than water coolers due to different thermal resistance (I think this is how it is called) of coolant.
      If you know how effective heatpipes are, you know that If you had a problem with this cooler, it has nothing to do with thermal density.

Comment

It looks like it was made with top vent roles in mind, judging by the fins orientation. A case with back vent roles and a fan will be problematic, unless there is a way to turn it 90 degrees, but that looks impractical.

Comment

Been a big proponent for fanless systems for the longest time. The biggest problem is convection in the case, and heat aswell as lack of passive cooling for GPUs (nowadays, had Zalmans back in the day). I found, that having a fan on the CPU (that most of the time is inaudible) is better than fighting compounding problems and having a rather limited choice in cases (particularly compact ones).

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            Been a big proponent for fanless systems for the longest time. The biggest problem is convection in the case, and heat aswell as lack of passive cooling for GPUs (nowadays, had Zalmans back in the day). I found, that having a fan on the CPU (that most of the time is inaudible) is better than fighting compounding problems and having a rather limited choice in cases (particularly compact ones).
            as someone who has my pc stuck on a board and hung on the wall, i don't understand :P'' but it makes this sink veerrryy interesting. i actually trust noctua to have gotten this right

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post

as someone who has my pc stuck on a board and hung on the wall, i don't understand :P'' but it makes this sink veerrryy interesting. i actually trust noctua to have gotten this right
              I figure you are hanging top-down next to your PC, windows barred tight, no mirrors to give away your secret?

Comment

The NH-P1 is quite large at 158 x 154 x 152 mm and features a copper base and heatpipes with aluminum fins.
                First, why no heatpipe direct-touch? Because it's patented? Couldn't they connect the heatpipes to a vapor chamber?

Second, how much does this monster weigh?

Third, where's the Noctua passive heatsink for Raspberry Pi?

Comment

I found, that having a fan on the CPU (that most of the time is inaudible) is better than fighting compounding problems and having a rather limited choice in cases (particularly compact ones).
                  Also, you can get 150 mm fans with 140 mm mounting points, and run them even slower.

Comment

I figure you are hanging top-down next to your PC, windows barred tight, no mirrors to give away your secret?

w-what? no, it saves space. i assure you she is very comfortable

Comment

Working...
                    X