No announcement yet.

Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Hits Another "Massively Improved Performance" Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Hits Another "Massively Improved Performance" Milestone

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Hits Another "Massively Improved Performance" Milestone

The Zink component to Mesa that provides a generic OpenGL implementation built atop the Vulkan API recently hit another "massively improved performance" milestone by Valve contractor Mike Blumenkrantz...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good work done as always

Comment

Some day, GPU driver providers (yes, i mean those like AMD, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, etc.) will get rid of native OpenGL in favor of Vulkan, and drivers like the Zink will be at a premium.

Comment

A little benchmark against AMD/Intel middleclass GPUs | Mesa OpenGL vs Zink would be neat.
        I guess MB asked you to not bench it before he thinks it's worth it ?

Comment

StarterX4 yes. I.e Apple does already layer their OpenGL support on top of Metal (which was somwehat easy for them to do since GL4.1 is the maximum supported version on macOS)

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
            Some day, GPU driver providers (yes, i mean those like AMD, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, etc.) will get rid of native OpenGL in favor of Vulkan, and drivers like the Zink will be at a premium.
            Yes, that is the ultimate goal. MS aims to handle everything on top of d3d12 drivers. 9on12, 11on12, GLon12 already exists, they also aim to do same for Vulkan as well.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
              Hopefully zink will do DX9-11 too. I haven't gotten gallium nine to work, but I have hopes for the new D3D10 state tracker (sadly its d3d10umd only, nice for VMs, not for wine). but it would be nice to just use vulkan for everything, even for desktop acceleration under windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Hopefully zink will do DX9-11 too. I haven't gotten gallium nine to work, but I have hopes for the new D3D10 state tracker (sadly its d3d10umd only, nice for VMs, not for wine). but it would be nice to just use vulkan for everything, even for desktop acceleration under windows.
                I'm not sure if Vulkan is a realistic candidate to replace everything everywhere. Some high level APIs are just enough for many applications and save development time. It would of course be nice to see some more vendor-locks die for sure. Maybe vulkan can help there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

I'm not sure if Vulkan is a realistic candidate to replace everything everywhere. Some high level APIs are just enough for many applications and save development time. It would of course be nice to see some more vendor-locks die for sure. Maybe vulkan can help there.
                  You mis understanding, I meant through zink still, particularly virgl. Currently Virgl works by creating a gallium virtual GPU in the guest, sending the raw gallium commands to host, where virgl renderer will then translate the gallium calls into opengl to run on the hardware.

Its slow. slow as mollases, I think it achieves about 30% preformance on opengl, even less on gallium nine.

Venus, the Vulkan version. I'm pretty sure, just creates a virtual Vulkan device, and sends the Vulkan commands back to host.

using zink, which is a gallium driver, Not just an opengl to vulkan layer (Think dxvk vs gallium nine) (Which actually makes Me. Blumenkrantz work even more impressive IMO) Which means theoretically, you could have DirectX 9 through 11, all being rendered through zink, sent to the Vulkan virtual driver, where you would get graphics acceleration.

I haven't tested it yet, But from what I've seen Venus has a vote 80 to 95% performance, the zinc which is achieving over 50% now, so that alone is faster than the current implementation for openGL, of course I would actually need to test it to know for sure. But meh, it be how it be, once qemu geta supprort ill be using it daily lol
                  sorry for bad spelling, im still not good at typing on android.

Comment

The answer here with DX9-11 support by Zink is currently no. Valve is funding zink and dxvk development so zink doing dx9-11 would be duplicating of the work valve is funding in dxvk.

You mis understanding, I meant through zink still, particularly virgl. Currently Virgl works by creating a gallium virtual GPU in the guest, sending the raw gallium commands to host, where virgl renderer will then translate the gallium calls into opengl to run on the hardware.

Its slow. slow as mollases, I think it achieves about 30% preformance on opengl, even less on gallium nine.

Venus, the Vulkan version. I'm pretty sure, just creates a virtual Vulkan device, and sends the Vulkan commands back to host.

using zink, which is a gallium driver, Not just an opengl to vulkan layer (Think dxvk vs gallium nine) (Which actually makes Me. Blumenkrantz work even more impressive IMO) Which means theoretically, you could have DirectX 9 through 11, all being rendered through zink, sent to the Vulkan virtual driver, where you would get graphics acceleration.
                    Exactly why if you have already exposed a vulkan interface so zink can work so can dxvk.

There is not a huge performance advantage to Gallium Nine and Gallium nine has less DX support than dxvk.

Your 30% of performance for virgl opengl vs native opengl is a overclaim as well. The real numbers are somewhere between 1/10 to 1/1000 of the performance native opengl but that still at least 10 times faster than software rendering in the virtual machine.

If Virgil is slow like molasses, opengl software rendering on a virtual machine is slow like tar.
                    http://www.nature.com/news/world-s-slowest-moving-drop-caught-on-camera-at-last-1.13418After 69 years, one of the longest-running laboratory investigations i...

Virgil opengl normally does get you to 60 frames per second for a lot of things like word processors. Software rendering in a virtual machine being like 1-5 frames per second at times even using something like libreoffice is not usable.

Comment

Working...
                    X