Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Linux 8.4 Released For RHEL 8.4 / CentOS Alternative

Phoronix: Rocky Linux 8.4 Released For RHEL 8.4 / CentOS Alternative

Stemming from last month's Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 release and then the RHEL 8.4 based updates to Alma Linux, Oracle Linux, and CentOS 8, RockyLinux has today reached general availability on its v8.4 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The lack of PPC support is disappointing, though not especially surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
      The lack of PPC support is disappointing, though not especially surprising.
      Give them some time. Seeing as ARM and PPC are officially supported upstream, I imagine Rocky builds are coming. As a new project, and with the clock ticking on CentOS 8, I would think getting x86 out the door was the top priority.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 21 June 2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

what make CentOS so special that everyone cry about it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          same as RH but free

Comment

10 years of security patches

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              same as RH but free
              I think you meant 'Free'. As in Freedom. RHEL is now available at zero cost for home/hobbyist users, but you're still tethered to the RH/IBM mothership for an annual subscription. For those who find that unappealing, there's Rocky. Remember, just because RH gives out free RHEL subscriptions today, doesn't mean they'll do so tomorrow.

Comment

basically, it is the only free (as a free beer) distro worth installing on production servers.
                or at least, it was. Now those are AlmaLinux and Rocky.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                  Now those are AlmaLinux and Rocky.
                  And that's the problem... CentOS was the only (real) alternative. Now there are many others. Alma, Rocky and afaik at least one other. You have to choose and you can't really foresee if it is the right decision.

Comment

Also running ZFS is a lot easier on RHEL/CentOS/Rocky than other distros, due to the LTS stable ABI.

I'm still annoyed RH decided to remove the sas2008 driver from EL8. There's a massive number of sas2008 cards deployed. It's the sas card in all my home servers, so now they all need hardware upgrades before I can upgrade from CentOS 7 to Rocky
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 21 June 2021, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X