Running The New Intel OpenGL "Crocus" Gallium3D Driver On Sandy Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The New Intel OpenGL "Crocus" Gallium3D Driver On Sandy Bridge

Phoronix: Running The New Intel OpenGL "Crocus" Gallium3D Driver On Sandy Bridge

Merged this past week was Crocus as the new open-source Intel Gallium3D driver developed by the community and used for Gen4/i965 through Gen7/Haswell generations of Intel graphics. This week I ran some Crocus benchmarks on Intel Haswell comparing against the existing i965 classic Mesa DRI driver while in this article are some comparison driver benchmarks using Intel Sandy Bridge graphics for those still running those once popular processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anybody using an Ivy Bridge or older iGPU for anything other for drawing a Wayland GUI and rendering a bunch of basic applications deserves to get their brains inspected.

By the way Michael, can Crocus be used to render Chrome / Chromium and Firefox on Wayland properly? Are flags like --ignore-gpu-blocklist still required or they simply won't work?

Comment

According to this comment from one of the Crocus devs, Sandy Bridge has "extra-special" problems.

So people shouldn't take this benchmark as a general representation about Crocus imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Anybody using an Ivy Bridge or older iGPU for anything other for drawing a Wayland GUI and rendering a bunch of basic applications deserves to get their brains inspected.
        The Ivy Bridge iGPU was perfectly usable for simple desktop use with the old drivers. Now you're suggesting it's much slower.

Comment

Any regressions? Visual artifacts? GPU hangs?

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          I don't know about Ivy Bridge (third generation) but my Haswell (fourth generation) is fast!
          I play Unvanquished, Half-Life 2, Portal 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc on my Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell.

Comment

I was playing in fallout NV on i5 2520m windows 7 720p with decent framerate 30fps...

Comment

I am not surprised, as Dave Airlie mentioned that Sandy Bridge was last on his priority list.

Comment

how to contact the dev or team who is responsible for this project ?

Comment

I'm thinking if this is needed project, old hardware, the old drivers works well but ok

Comment

tell me how I'm supposed to upgrade my laptop in the middle of Africa where I live to the last CPU gen ?

i can switch to the red team i do it without doubt plus i still my HD 4000 work fine for me in windows with dx11 game like skyrim in high quality 1080p and i played far cry 4 and assassin greed 3 work fine in low to

Comment

Working...
                    X