No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470 EOL Drivers For Kepler Still Obliterating Open-Source Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470 EOL Drivers For Kepler Still Obliterating Open-Source Alternative

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470 EOL Drivers For Kepler Still Obliterating Open-Source Alternative

With the recent NVIDIA 470 series Linux driver beta this R470 branch is the point at which NVIDIA is ending its GeForce 600/700 series "Kepler" support. The 470 driver series will be maintained as a long-lived driver that will continue to see security updates and Linux kernel / X.Org Server compatibility updates for another three years. If this end-of-life status has you thinking about trying out the open-source "Nouveau" Linux driver with Kepler, here are some current benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    NVIDIA Drivers <...> Still Obliterating Open-Source Alternative
    In other news, water is still wet.

Comment

I guess, let's just run the card at 3600MHz and rely on liquid nitrogen cooling to run Nouveau at NVIDIA driver performance levels..

Comment

I'm still rocking the latest nvidia-3xx package for my MBP from 11 years ago that has an nVidia GeForce GT 330M

Using kernel 5.4 LTS and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, so i'm good for a long time. Have no reason to update anything luckily

edit: screenshot from a few months ago. Winning
        Last edited by perpetually high; 30 June 2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

All things die eventually.

Comment

> Hopefully this gets fixed sometime soon.

Yeah, and why exactly Michael do you sound so hopeful? Any indication that suddenly now after years of not doing so, Nvidia will release firmware and authorise Nouveau to use it to re-clock cards?
            Any minute now, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I guess, let's just run the card at 3600MHz and rely on liquid nitrogen cooling to run Nouveau at NVIDIA driver performance levels..
              You could also stop buying crap from this piece of shit vendor (nvidia = novideo).

Comment

"Kepler is also the best supported GPU generation currently by NVIDIA as it's the latest without having the signed firmware requirement and at least has manual re-clocking available unlike with the GeForce GTX 900 series and newer."

Pretty sure this "NVIDIA" is supposed to say "Nouveau."

Comment

At this point, hoping for Nvidia to do something about this is not even naïve. It's simply stupid.

How many years are linux nvidia users going to delude themselves? Firmware release does not require the same process of legal review like amd's video card docs did. Nvidia could have done this so many times by now.

Comment

Nobody is going to play games with GeFroce 600/700, it even slower than integrated GPUs, so nouveau should be enough.
                    Anyway, smart guys just buy Radeon, it's cheaper, faster, and less targeted by those chinese miners.

Comment

Working...
                    X