Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Still Tap Dancing Around 0.9% Marketshare

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Still Tap Dancing Around 0.9% Marketshare

Even with Steam Play continuing to get into quite good shape for running recent Windows game releases on Linux with ease thanks to the work Valve has been investing into Proton, DXVK, VKD3D-Proton, and lower-level Linux graphics infrastructure, for now at least the overall marketshare is holding steady at around 0.8~0.9% for the past number of months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too little promotion - not revealing that the game under Linux is great - this is already the case in 90% of cases ... but why does Valve not show it ?!?

Comment

Daily reminder that i have never witnessed a steam survey on my client on Linux. Just this summer sale i spent 170 euros on linux native games, still no survey. There is something fishy going on here.

Comment

so why Valve inc. is still pushing so much effort for linux support?

Comment

I play on Steam on Linux a lot and I've never seen that survey as well. It's hard to track marketshare that way. Some telemetry would do the trick, but it would be too controversial so that they'd decide to implement it.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Daily reminder that i have never witnessed a steam survey on my client on Linux. Just this summer sale i spent 170 euros on linux native games, still no survey. There is something fishy going on here.
            I've got two on Windows and one on Linux in the past 5 months and I haven't actually played a single game on Steam (been playing stuff off Epic, GOG, and Ubisoft). Seriously not 5 minutes of Steam Game Time, either OS. Just the occasional running of Steam to pull in updates. All happened right after doing OS installs. The most recent one was Monday after installing Windows 11, the one before that was after I installed Arch last month, and the first of those three was when I built my current PC around the end of February and (re)installed Windows 10.

So if you haven't been bugged about the Steam Survey, wipe a disk and install an OS. It works for me.

Comment

They still don't count non-GNU userspace Linux systems (like Chromebooks/Chromeboxes) as Linux.

Comment

The previous month, I had a dual boot, with Manjaro Linux and Windows 10 (I deleted it later). I was using Manjaro all the time, and for few minutes I booted Windows to just install updates.

When I logged in Windows 10, and the Steam autostarted, it asked me for the survey. This has happened before too. It *never* asked me in Linux, in the last 7-8 years at least.

Comment

Back when Steam first launched for Linux, I would get a survey almost every month. Lately, I haven't seen a survey in maybe 4 years. Granted, I don't sign into Steam almost every day like I did a few years ago, and I remember the survey only appears when you sign in (at least for me that was the case) but to go from multiple surveys in a year to 0 surveys in multiple years is a little suspicious.

Comment

The problem is that Win 10, 11 is more of less free for the user to upgrade. If it was 40-50 $ per machine then Linux would sykrocket

Comment

Working...
                    X