Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Leading Over Early Windows 11 Benchmarks For AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Leading Over Early Windows 11 Benchmarks For AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Performance

Phoronix: Linux Leading Over Early Windows 11 Benchmarks For AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Performance

With Microsoft making public this week their early Windows Insider Preview builds of Windows 11, curiosity got the best of me to give it a whirl in looking at the performance of the early Windows 11 preview build compared to Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Man, go Ubuntu 20.04 LTS!! Thanks Michael

I actually spun up Windows 11 in VirtualBox myself last night. I'm very impressed with it. This could be the one that I use as my daily driver for work when it becomes RTM. (currently using Windows 7 highly customized). Gave Windows 10 a chance far too many times.

Comment

Is it just me or does Windows 11 look a lot closer to KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post
        It does.

Comment

Or MacOS? The launcher, scrollbars look straight from MacOS.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Man, go Ubuntu 20.04 LTS!! Thanks Michael

I actually spun up Windows 11 in VirtualBox myself last night. I'm very impressed with it. This could be the one that I use as my daily driver for work when it becomes RTM. (currently using Windows 7 highly customized). Gave Windows 10 a chance far too many times.
            Yeah, W11 looks neat. The PC Settings have been reworked and don't totally suck, though we still have a ton of Control Panel applets.

Comment

W11 is looking a lot slower than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                W11 is looking a lot slower than I expected.
                We will never know, but I believe that some debugging is enabled.

Comment

Doubling minimum storage space requirement, 11 probably comes packed with a lot more crapware, and that wastes cpu cycles and pollutes cache, so nobody in the right mind really expects it to do better performance wise.

m$ will have to do some update crippling to 10 to prop 11 up, so it is at least relatively better than something...

Comment

Only because of the taskbar on the bottom. In use the overall Win 11 experience feels closer to GNOME with some of the plugins that Ubuntu uses. I've been running it on bare metal since launch and that's my impression of it. There are hamburger menus and header bars all over the place which isn't the description I'd use for KDE. The taskbar is extremely limited in what it can do which makes it even closer to GNOME by not offering customizations. It's like they cloned the GNOME top bar, made the taskbar icons appear similar to what macOS does, removed all the customization options that I used from 95 to 10, and gave it a left justified mode to hopefully make traditionalists STFU.

Outside of the limited taskbar I'm happy with 11. I just do not like icon-only mode nor the grouping of icons or tabs. If I have three Firefox windows running I want three labeled Firefox tabs and not an icon I have to hover over to get to the task I want to switch to. If I have too much bullshit on the taskbar I'll create a new desktop or activity.

I also like non-grouping modes because, to me, it is a lot easier to catch pop under windows when they don't group up. My latest Steam surveys appeared as a pop unders on Win 11 and Arch KDE (was still using KDE defaults) and I almost missed them closing Steam to reboot during my post OS install customize stuff routines.

And I also miss the Weather applet just recently introduced. I work outside for a living so it was nice not having to dick with my phone or looking up weather services. I could schedule my day within a click of looking at my desktop and my hour with a quick glance. Now it's two clicks and I can't quick glance the next hour.

If MS allows me to fix the taskbar to my liking I'll be a happy camper on 11 in regards to the UI.

Comment

Working...
                    X