Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Launches Open 3D Foundation, Amazon Lumberyard Spun As Open 3D Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation Launches Open 3D Foundation, Amazon Lumberyard Spun As Open 3D Engine

Phoronix: Linux Foundation Launches Open 3D Foundation, Amazon Lumberyard Spun As Open 3D Engine

The Linux Foundation and their partners are today announcing their intent to form the Open 3D Foundation to help foster 3D game and simulation technologies. As a key part of this new Open 3D Foundation, Amazon's Lumberyard game engine that started off based on CryEngine is going to see an Apache 2.0 licensed copy made available as the Open 3D Engine (O3DE).

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Yep, so far this Open 3D Engine effort backed by the Linux Foundation so far requires Microsoft Windows and Visual Studio..."

Really W T F !?

Comment

It's a shame! Will be better if Linux Foundation give money to GODOT

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
        "Yep, so far this Open 3D Engine effort backed by the Linux Foundation so far requires Microsoft Windows and Visual Studio..."

Really W T F !?
        Perfectly reasonable considering it was just open sourced and Linux Foundation backing it doesn't change that technical requirement. If others are interested in fixing that, they can now submit pull requests.

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
          Really W T F !?
          What did you expect from a Windows-centric game engine that has yet to be ported to Linux?

Btw, I'm interested how CryTek are going to react, given Lumberyard is based on CryEngine and in what way Amazon is even allowed to open source the code they licensed from CryTek.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Btw, I'm interested how CryTek are going to react, given Lumberyard is based on CryEngine and in what way Amazon is even allowed to open source the code they licensed from CryTek.
            The license is probably needlessly complex (always is with games companies). However since CryEngine is also now open-source, it is likely to be fine.

Comment

Blender and Godot aren't enough?

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                Blender and Godot aren't enough?
                Blender hasn't been an option for a while.

Deprecated features

The Blender Game Engine was a built-in real-time graphics and logic engine with features such including collision detection, a dynamics engine, and programmable logic. It also allowed the creation of stand-alone, real-time applications ranging from architectural visualization to video games. In April 2018 it was removed from the upcoming Blender 2.8 release series, having long lagged behind other game engines such as the open-source Godot, and Unity.[24] In the 2.8 announcement, the Blender team specifically mentioned the Godot engine as a suitable replacement for migrating Blender Game Engine users.[25]
                Honestly, I welcome this. Unity and Unreal Engine coexist, so there's room for both.

We've got a developing Libre replacement for Unity in Godot (i.e. an engine that emphasizes ease of use and isn't the state of the art in 3D but is better at 2D than the big alternative)... maybe this will become the libre replacement for Unreal Engine.
                Last edited by ssokolow; 06 July 2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

AFAIK, Lumberyard was made to sell Amazon cloud services. How this release handles that? It is possible to drop Amazon dependencies and adopt, say, Steam as a cloud service provider?

Comment

I get that all things have to start somewhere...but still...chalk me up in the category of: weird choice given the plethora of game engines and programs that are already open source and work on Linux and more.

Comment

Working...
                    X